producer producer

NationalSandwic

Hi

Could anyone give me a break down of a producers job on an album? Or, at least, what they think/imagine a producers job should be... =)

I have a pretty good idea, but I'd like to hear some real ones.

Thank you!

that is a vague question. because your producer can be the person that made the beat. the recording engineer. & also the guy sitting in the control room telling the engineer what to do or say to the artist.

ok, i'm thinking specifically of the sort of producer who is put in charge of generating an album for a band. ie, he doesn't contribute original material (for now).

Just look at what different producers do.
Jimmy Page produced the early Zep albums and had total artistic control of the content. Peter Grant produced the later ones and I wouldn't think he would have that same influence. He was more of an organiser, concerned with marketing and image.

On the other hand when Bob Rock produced Metallic's Black album, he had quite a bit of input into the song arrangements.

The producer is the guy who takes ultimate responsibility for the success of a project

producer

Yes,the producer wears many hats. For artists who write their own songs, the producer takes those song ideas and converts them into a complete song.Add a harmony here, a bass run there.A joint effort. For artists who don't write their own songs and just do the singing, the producer tells the singer what and how he or she should be singing that particular song.These artists are generally known as ''producer puppets.'' In both cases,in the end, the producer wants a marketable product. I think two of the most influential producers in rock history would be George Martin(beatles) and Brian Wilson(beach boys). These guys made an art out of bouncing and overdubbing on just 4 tracks. But if you listen to enough music you can hear a particular producers style regardless of who the artist is. Roy Thomas Baker produced Queen, Journey,The Cars, Foreigner. He uses the same methods for stacking vocals, drum mix etc.. on all these albums. But yet none of these groups or their songs sound the same as the other.Mutt Lange is another example of that. My two cents. Pj

The job of a producer is to tie together all the elements that go into making a record:

Talent
Engineering
Arrangement
Orchestration
Business concerns (with the label)
Dealing with personalities (artists, A&R, the label, etc...)

As far as how intrusive or hands-off any producer will be that depends on the producer. Some are very hands-on and will actively work the recording session, others may not know a great deal about audio engineering and instead focus as quality control.

IMHO the hallmark of a producer is someone that can see an album to completion. Trust me, it's harder than you think to actually get an album recorded. The average shmoe on the street lacks the resolve to get something done.

Producers are, in effect, the guy in charge of getting a record done.

i always look at it in terms of an analogy to film. the producer is the, well, producer and director. the artist is the actor and the writer. the engineer is the cinematographer.

It's very generalized.

In short, a typical producer is the direct link between the artist, the record label and the tech crew.

I was fortunate to be in a band that had a deal with a major label in the early 90’s, and Andy Wallace produced our record. He got an apartment in our hometown a couple of months before we went into the studio and basically hung out with us to see what we were into musically, and personally, and to get a vibe on what we were all about. We did a few weeks of pre-production in our rehearsal studio where he exposed the weaknesses in our ability as players, and what he felt the songs needed in terms of arrangements. He basically said if the drummer could not improve his timing, he would be forced to hire a studio guy. Looking back on it, I think he was trying to coach a young amateur band to professional status, the pressure he applied worked. He left us to finish another project that he was working on, and to give us time to improve. When we finally got into the studio, our chops were up to par, and our arrangements were already worked out, so we didn’t waste any time in the studio. He engineered and mixed it himself, with the help of an in-studio second who was familiar with the gear at hand. The record turned out very good and it was a great experience. I would imagine the role of the producer would be unique to every project though because not all bands need that coaching and motivational role.

Back