Producer Lengends

lastsound

Hey, I'm new to the game. Just wanting to know peoples views on who they think has to be the hottest producer at this moment in time? Appreciate some suggestions.

#1 on top of my list has to be Eric B. He really changed the way cats used samples and how he would scratch parts of the sample voice on top of the track added that authentic Hip hop flavor to it. Of course Rakim blessed the tracks but his production really took rap to the next level.

#2 for Me is Premier this is personal pick for me the way he chopped samples and played them back is a technique many in the game today still try to emulate. I my self try to emulate his techniques in my production.

#3 for me is a Tie between Dr. Dre and Pete Rock. Dre would be third but I really think the style that Pete Rock perfected is comming back to hip hop he used alot of jazz sounds over hip hop beats. If you listen to Common's LP produced by Kanye you will hear a bit of pete rocks style in Kanye's production. I think this style is comming back but on a more soulful level.
Dr Dre is probably #1 or #2 on alot of folks list he's only third on mine because the guys before him I try to emulate so if I had Dre's skills he would be first on my list. I dont even know If I could emulate his style if I tried. Many people try but they fail. I dont know why his style is just so unique I guess. He has made alot of people rich and his appeal reaches from West coast to East Coast with the same hard hitting Funk/hip hop that we all enjoy. He is the best at bringing out the best in artist too. Even from the days of NWA to now everything he's been involved with for the most part has been a classic in My eyes.

#4 has to be Havoc from Mobb Deep. I have also tried to emulate alot of his production. You can hear havocs style in alot of my tracks. He brought forth that grimey sound that when you hear them spit made you believe they live that shit cause the beats were so evil sounding nothing happy about his music I'll say that lol. He would be in my top 3 but he hasnt really put good work together in a while.

#5 has to be the RZA this cat is still doing his thing but only for the movies. Man that damn main theme song of Kill bill still be in commercials. I wish he would put it down like that for some of the Wu artist. His music is very complex and original so some like then some dont like. Alot of producers recently have been using his old style of speeding up the voices in the samples. He's has moved on from that though.

This are my top 5 if they all worked on one LP man that shit would probably be the best LP in the history of hip hop.

i gotta give it up to kanye west right now....hes everywhere and can do anything: producing, writing rapping, directing. I think right now his beats are on top.

why is that? anyways does it really matter if he is an asshole the guy asked who is the best producer right now and in my opinion its kanye.

pcp said:
why is that? anyways does it really matter if he is an asshole the guy asked who is the best producer right now and in my opinion its kanye.
I won't take away that the guy is gifted BUT; his whole arrogant attitude turns me off to his music.

yea i can respect that

...i know this doesnt belong on this thread but i saw you were from houston so i figured id ask if you know how to make those screwed and chopped joints. is it possible to do that with cubase?

not with cubase itself but if you got a pitch shifter plugin laying around you can.

I use tracktor to "chop & screw" of course I'm not as good at it as some peeps I know. :)

Ya Cant forget about Scott Storch. His stuff is dope. He's really come a long way in the past few years. I'm also really diggin Red Spyda at the moment.

My top 11

1. Premo - most creative.. makes beats from nothing
2. Dre - just to tite to front on...
3. Timbaland - innovative with drums and his sampling skills
4. Rza - grungee and simple master pieces
5. Pete Roc - pure hip hop.. drums and soulful samples
6. DITC (Buckwyld,DiamondD,ShowBiz) - excellent ear for samples and drums
7. Alchemist - new breed of pete roc types
8. Extra-P - master of sp 1200/s950 and choppin
9. K West - new breed hip hop producer innovating with vocal samps....
10. Havoc of Mobb deep - Premo new school type beats undaground...
11. Beatminerz (mr walt,Evildee, babypau) - classic grungee hiphop sound

i can't really pick best producer right now as they all sound alike these day, the only difference to me is the regional style, almost everyone on raticus list is bonafied greatest except for Kanye west and alchemist for obvious reason ( too young in the game)
with 5 getting the legendary status (arguably)
so the best right would have to be me. stop laughing i'm serious.

Definitely Organaized Noize. I wasnt as pleased with Speakerboxx/The Love Below, and they have a smaller list of artists produced for; but they're style, at least in my opinion; especially on the first three Outkast albums, is so funky they deserve number one.

Number 2 would have to be RJ-D2, El-P, or Chief Excel; again, they're rather exclusive in who they produce for; but all three have they're own styles that you don't see too much of anymore. RJ-D2's solo work is amazing; Im excited too see what he could do as a producer once his career picks up. El-P did what Kanye has done before Kanye was big; hes a record executive; talented rapper; and producer with mad skills. Especcialy his work on Cold Vein. Chief Excel's style is raw, anyone who has heard the Solesides Greatest Bumps compilation knows that his production style is one of a kind.

I'm gonna have to say Dre here, really love those production.
Then I'm forced to say Tommy Tee, most of you probably don't even know who he is, but trust me...it's some really great stuff.
What a great opportunity to ask you all: Does anyone here know who Tomme Tee is?
Listen to Takin Ova with Warlocks, from the Bonds, beats, and belief album and tell me that man can't kick the shit, in a non-pop way...old album yes, but still it's great music. Another great track is: "Time is short - Warlocks" just listen dawgs

-Nito

Fuck Kanye....... He's an asshole.

that's why he'll hear your music and fast forward...cause he don't wanna hear that weak shit no mooooooooo :p

some of my picks:

Pete Rock
Kanye West
Just Blaze
Ayatollah (Ms. Fatbooty!)
No ID
J-Dilla
DJ Quick
Dr Dre
DJ Vadim
Ant (Atmosphere)
Rich Harisson (that Amerie joint is banging!)
?uestlove

and then some...

How about ummmmmm "Jazzy Phaye" or how ever you spell it!
It sounds like he stole alot of my beats and my joints be banging!
Nah, but on the real I like so many because they bring so many different styles. While many are into buying cd's and just playing them. I am very well into playing them, but pulling out the sleeve to see who is producing it, and listening closely to its production and critiquing what I consider the "Likes and Dislikes".......It depends on what you're looking for. People tend to mix production with the song itself and it is apples and oranges. To take a mediocre song and make it hot because of your creativity is what it is all about, what you bring to the table. It's not about just beat production, but an ear for how you want the song to be performed. (From the verses to the breaks to the bridge etc..........) Dre, Timberland, JD, and a host of others, are known to invite other musicians to their table of ideas. They have crews dedicated to the creation of ideas only, that makes their productivity easier. R kelly puts out bangers, he too has a good panel of idea givers. It's like Phil Jackson with the Bulls, "Good coach, but Great team"......
But my Final Answer is ........................."Drum Roll"..............................>>>>>>>>>>>
So as for productions I will go with someone who is old school and had only a two track recorder to lay down a whole album, now that's Gangster!

pleasently surprised

no neptunes!!!! wow, must be a shortage of dick riders!!

it depends if you are making them legends by how hot the tracks are or by sells!

on hotness
premo
ali shaheed muhammed
dre
organized noize

Back