ProControl Faderport

SiloviewVA

Good morning!
I’m in the process of getting back into the game after having been out of home recording for several years. I’m the proverbial “analog guy in a digital world”. Currently running Logic Pro with 2 Motu MK3 travelers and recently was given a Digidesign Procontrol Faderport. I completely understand this device is a legacy item made explicitly for protools. Would love to utilize its fader ability via Neyrincks software. My question-is it worth it? I’m also considering a 32” touch screen device. Thoughts?

Good morning!
I’m in the process of getting back into the game after having been out of home recording for several years. I’m the proverbial “analog guy in a digital world”. Currently running Logic Pro with 2 Motu MK3 travelers and recently was given a Digidesign Procontrol Faderport. I completely understand this device is a legacy item made explicitly for protools. Would love to utilize its fader ability via Neyrincks software. My question-is it worth it? I’m also considering a 32” touch screen device. Thoughts?
I've always heard good reports regarding Paul Neyrinck's software solutions and Logic. That and I seem to recall he had a trial available. I certainly give it a go. I had a Pro Control back in the day but eventually found it too cumbersome for what I was doing at the time. Not so much physically cumbersome but migrating my mouse and keyboard muscle memory Pro Tools habits made things slower, especially for quick turnaround Post Production projects. That said, especially since it's free, and for a fader-pack device, it's a great solution. It does not however (at least for me) feel even remotely close to an analog mixer. The reaction time is good but not great and there's that inevitable lag in moving faders up or down. I guess I'd call it a good fader-pack solution but a poor emulation of an analog mixer.

I've always heard good reports regarding Paul Neyrinck's software solutions and Logic. That and I seem to recall he had a trial available. I certainly give it a go. I had a Pro Control back in the day but eventually found it too cumbersome for what I was doing at the time. Not so much physically cumbersome but migrating my mouse and keyboard muscle memory Pro Tools habits made things slower, especially for quick turnaround Post Production projects. That said, especially since it's free, and for a fader-pack device, it's a great solution. It does not however (at least for me) feel even remotely close to an analog mixer. The reaction time is good but not great and there's that inevitable lag in moving faders up or down. I guess I'd call it a good fader-pack solution but a poor emulation of an analog mixer.
Thanks for the response Joseph. I agree completely with your assessment of the fader response. That being said, it’s still pretty beefy in comparison to other devices on the market and especially for the price ;-). My plan is to give it a shot and upgrade at some point. I plan on downloading the Neyrinck demo in the next couple of days. I’ll def give an update on the experience.

Back