Problems with Ricoh r/rw

steve pratt

I recently bought a Ricoh R/RW (MP7060S). It does a fine job burining data and wave files, but it does a horrible job burning red book (The result is a lot of audio breakup) , even when I'm using a standard Recordable CD. Luckilly I kept my old Sony (recordable only , not RW) and have kept using it for my Red book burns. I am a bit concerned though. Is this typical of Ricoh products, or is it because it is geared primarily for data-only burning and reburning?

Ricoh burner

Hey there Steve,

I have the very same make and model burner that you have, and can say that I have encountered no problems whatsoever with the unit. I have to honestly admit that I don't rightly know what the term "Red Book" stands for, but I have burned data, wave files, and copied from music CD's without a hitch. The only problem that I experienced was within copying a music CD which surpassed the capacity of my 74 minute CDR. But this only happened once, and wasn't
problematic of the unit.

Hi again Steve,

I just took a good look at my manual and learned that I have the model MP7060A. I would imagine, though, that my unit doesn't differ much from your MP7060S - and that their functions & capabilities are twin-like.

[Edited by NLAlston on 08-21-2000 at 15:25]

Thanks NL. Maybe mine is a bit faulty, The warranty is still good so I might talk to my dealer. By the way "Red book" is just a term that's used for audio that plays on a CD player. By the sounds of your answer - yours can do this quite well. Thanks again.

i have the richo 9060A (it's the r/rw/dvd combo...

anywho if i burn audio cd's from a spindle of verbatims, it won't play in my cd player. (the same disc's work fine for people w/o richo drives) but the same verbatims w/ jewel cases work fine! richo might have sump'in goofy after all.

What is the burning software you're using? I seem to recall seeing certain Ricoh drives ahving dramas with either EZ-CD Creator or the one that comes with the drive (Fun CD?) I can't remember which though

- gaffa

My Ricoh burner has burned on anything that I have thrown at it. I have used Verbatim, Memorex, Maxell, etc. and have not had a problem. I recently tried some CDR's by Samsung - and was a little worried about successfulness, because of not being very familiar with the name - but these, also, have burned without event.

For some reason, I can't get the Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.0 to function properly with my unit. But the mastering program that was bundled with my burner (Cequadrat's WinOnCD) has served me unfailingly.

[Edited by NLAlston on 08-22-2000 at 07:40]

Back