problems with new SM57

k bucks

Got a new sm57 about a year ago. The design was slightly different from my old ones, a little lighter in color and more defined edge on the upper part of the grey casing. However, when I compared the new one with the two older ones, I noticed the new Sm57 was very tinny and thin sounding. Did they change the recipe for these things or did I get a dud?

-k

There are slugs out there that manufacture counterfeit SM57s. I'm not saying for a fact that's what you have, but if you didn't get it from a known reputable Shure dealer, it's a possibility. I don't remember the telltale differences, but that info can be found on this BBS and elsewhere on the Interthingy with a little searching.

G.

Sure?

Are you sure what you bought is a Shure SM57? As far as I know they haven't really changed those mics for several decades. It's also very possible that you did get a dud. Next time you go to buy a microphone don't just grab the one they hand you. Ask them if you can try them out. Now for a cheapo mice like an SM57 the salesperson may not be so hot on the idea, but on vocal mics and mics you want to use to record certain things, you better listen to the mic before purchase. Find a good preamp thats on hand and just listen to them. You'll find ones that are more and less sensitive overall and in certain frequency ranges. Sometimes you'll find some that hate plosives more than most mics. Just find one you like the sound of and feel will get the job done.

Just a side note... why did it take a year to figure out it sounded different?

Last edited:
i found this on another forum. Maybe you'll find it useful

"I think it's pretty simple to do but here are the ways you do it:

1. If it's to good to be true it probably is. This mic is usually $99 USD new so if someone is offering a new 57 for $40 more than likely a fake. Even used 57s fetch anywhere from $50-70.

2. Look at the XLR connector at the bottom, on a real sure the pins will be labled 1, 2, and 3. Fakes usually have some other brand marking or no marking at all.

3. Look at the capsule head (58 only) if there is a caution sticker... fake.

4. Unscrew the windscreen (again 58) look at the bottom of the windscreen. There will be a lip here where the threads are. If the lip is flat it's a fake, this is supposed to be rounded.

5. On both a 57 and 58 unscrew the middle of the mic. There should be 2 wires one green one yellow. Sometimes counterfeit ones have the same colors sometimes not. If it's anything but yellow and green it be a fake YAR!

6. Look at the circuit board the wires are soldiered to. There should be a red control stamp, fakes usually omit this.

7. A fake mic will usually be lighter than a real one.

8. Authentic mics ship with accessories including a microphone clip, cloth cable tie, Shure sticker, carrying pouch, manual, and warranty card. Fake microphones tend not to include all of these accessories; most obviously missing is the warranty card and cable tie. Also, the bag will be of low quality -- sometimes with a "Made in China" sticker on the inside. Remember, Shure's microphones are made in Mexico, not in China. (Direct quote from Joe Shambro).

9. Lastly, trust your ears, the real deal sounds better. "

A friend dropped and broke my original sm57 and replaced it with this one. According to the list, the sm57 checks out as a real one, just a piece of crap I suppose. Thanks,

k

dropped?

what did he drop it off of? ive seen sm57s used as hammers in fresh wood and still work. he had to have dropped it off of a 3 story building into a damn wood chipper to have busted it like that.

you yourself said the capsule was weird compared to the originals, and it was a lighter color. Both of those are in the list.
The design was slightly different from my old ones, a little lighter in color and more defined edge on the upper part of the grey casing. However, when I compared the new one with the two older ones, I noticed the new Sm57 was very tinny and thin sounding.

It also sounds very different according to you. I dunno, man. Hopefully it's just a dud, I'd hate to think you got ripped off.

what did he drop it off of? ive seen sm57s used as hammers in fresh wood and still work. he had to have dropped it off of a 3 story building into a damn wood chipper to have busted it like that.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Maybe the 'original' was a fake, and as it turns out, he just doesn't like SM57s? :

it's a bit weird....i was quite surprised when the original sm57 broke so easily. I witnessed it myself, it just fell from about four feet onto a pretty hard floor, right onto the metal screen on the "top" of the mic. Could never get it running again.

-k

Some of the conspiracy theorists among us would say it was a nefarious plot that your friend hatched long ago........
But I wouldn't ! These things just happen. Despite being a little tinny, is it useable to your satisfaction ?

Well if you don't like your new one, you can it and your old dropped one and join them with a length of chain and you've got a handy set of nunchucks... :)

I'm just feeling soooo helpful today..

Back