Problems with my M-Audio Profire 610 to connect in my Laptop!!!

Yoha

Hi! As I said in the thread tittle, I have a M-Audio Profire 610, but it has only the possibility to connect via firewire 400. I have just usb 3 and usb c to do the thing. Is there a cable or a possible alternative to make it work? Is it possible to use an existing modern cable which convert the data between both equipment? Is the adapter in the photo I attached a functional way? I really hope someone can help me. Greetings.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
AFAIK there is no way to adapt USB 3.0 to Firewire, they are totally different protocols. There are Tbolt to FW adaptors but I think they are a bit hit and miss on legacy gear?

The only ray of hope I can offer is if you can find a laptop such as my Lenovo T510 which has a 4 pin FW port. I see the Profire has a separate 12V power input. But even then you might not be out of the woods! I remember the "Great Firewire Chipset FU" of some years ago. Basically if your computer did not have a Texas Instruments 1394 chipset, you were *****d!

I guess you don't want to spend out on a new AI but I think that is inevitable. There are many really good USB interfaces around now at the $200 point. One such is the excellent MOTU M2 . M4 or M6. Naturally more $$$s gets you more facilities. The absolute dog's danglers for quality and especially longevity is RME.

Dave.

Double check that you don't have a IEEE 1394 port. Many laptops came with that port and it is the Windows PC term used for Firewire.

If you already knew that, my apologies.

Double check that you don't have a IEEE 1394 port. Many laptops came with that port and it is the Windows PC term used for Firewire.

If you already knew that, my apologies.
A very good point but if it does it is almost certain to be a 4 pin version and you will need an external power supply.

Dave.

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the answers. Nop, my laptop has no firewire input. Has a Mini-Displayport (Like the thunderbolt 2). I do not know if with a firewire 400 to thunderbolt 2 cable it might do the job. But I found this (Link below) on Alieexpress how much reliable is this?

Last edited:
Back