Problems With My Booth!!

P Stew

aright so i made a booth 4X4 an 7 Ft. Tall...Filled with Auralex...i been recording rap vocals in it....an i was wondering if this does anything to my vocals..possibly limits them...Ideas?

no....but i went i nand clapped an it sounded weird...an i was wondering if there would be anything it might do too my vocals.....some minor stuff or something

P Stew said:
no....but i went i nand clapped an it sounded weird...an i was wondering if there would be anything it might do too my vocals.....some minor stuff or something

Well it all comes down to personal taste, the clap sounds strange because it wasn't being reflected much, and people say that that's a good thing for recording vocals.

I've done 'hip-hop' vocals with a condenser mic in a room with cinder block walls and it was a bit messy so I assume the absorption would be nice.

If it sounds good, then great.

-jeffrey

A room that small should be dead for recording vocals. A live room that small would sound really crappy, but it would sound like what you would expect a room that small to sound. So your handclap or whatever sounds odd. You will most likely want to add a little reverb to your tracks to make up for the dead vocal booth.

Well to compare, record some lines outside (no walls)
then in the room outside the booth
then in the booth

record all three takes using all of the same equipment/vocalist etc

then you'll know how each effects the vocals.

so will the vocal booth making my vocal's dead cause any problems? just adding Reverb will solve that problem right?

P Stew said:
so will the vocal booth making my vocal's dead cause any problems? just adding Reverb will solve that problem right?
No problems. A dead room just means you will geet the sound of the vocals and nothing else. It sounds a bit unnatural, but you can add reverb and get whatever sound you like, instead of just the same tiny, boxy, room sound you'd get without the absorbtion. You're bound to get used to the deadness over time.

P Stew said:

Generally speaking yes, but as pointed out it can be a bit creepy.

Also, not knowing exactly what auralex and so forth is really in there, you might be "killing" the highs/mids, but leaving the lower mids/bass. In which case it could sound like crap if you get some dude in there that is a low baritone or a bass.

additionally, if its completely "dead" in there, make sure not to OVERcompensate with the reverb.

P Stew said:
A dead vocal booth is great for rap vocals unless you are going for a specific effect. But most commercial vocals are done in dead vocal booths and then reverb is added to taste. ie. Rock, pop, Rap.

Eck

Back