Problems with connecting outboard gear

tf5_bassist

The LouDogg
Alright... got my trusty TAC Scorpion, and for outboard gear, i've got a Digitech S100, Alesis Nanoverb, and a Symetrix 525 (which is two channels/stereo). How in the freaking world do you hook these up?

True, I have four AUX controls on the channel strips. But... on the back of the console, there are four Aux Sends, and only TWO Aux Returns.

This would've been VERY easy if there were four aux returns, but since there isn't, how do i hook them all up properly?

No manual?? wish I had a Scorpion.
Anyway are the returns in 2 or one? e.g. aux 1-l, r or is mono only for aux 1?
If its just mono pan to the center or wherever you like. If aux 1 has l, r hook up a return
of the 525 into L , and digitech into R and pan accordingly.
So if the aux returns are stereo(two sockets) in essence you can use them mono only
X 4, or you can only have 2 stereo returns.
T
tf5_bassist said:
Alright... got my trusty TAC Scorpion, and for outboard gear, i've got a Digitech S100, Alesis Nanoverb, and a Symetrix 525 (which is two channels/stereo). How in the freaking world do you hook these up?

True, I have four AUX controls on the channel strips. But... on the back of the console, there are four Aux Sends, and only TWO Aux Returns.

This would've been VERY easy if there were four aux returns, but since there isn't, how do i hook them all up properly?

Re: Re: Problems with connecting outboard gear

Tonio said:
No manual?? wish I had a Scorpion.
Anyway are the returns in 2 or one? e.g. aux 1-l, r or is mono only for aux 1?
If its just mono pan to the center or wherever you like. If aux 1 has l, r hook up a return
of the 525 into L , and digitech into R and pan accordingly.
So if the aux returns are stereo(two sockets) in essence you can use them mono only
X 4, or you can only have 2 stereo returns.
T

No, we have the manual, but it's a bit sketchy on the whole thing. i mean, it IS possible to route it out of one of the Aux Sends, and then bring it into one of the monitoring busses, but then, really, there's not much of a way to route it to a recording channel from there, from what i've seen. Anyways, here's how the sends/returns are set up. i'm a bit rusty on exactly what's on there, but i'll try:

Two of the S2000 aux channel strips are in the console. first one has the aux controls in rotary pot forms for aux send 1 and 3, the other is 2 and 4. There's the faders which control the signal coming through the returns for 1 and 2 (and i guess this is somehow supposed to be summed with the returns for 3 and 4), and then there's also aux 3 and 4 rotary pots on each S2000 strip, but they're in line with the aux 3 and 4 controls on the 16 channels, so basically they're controlling the amount of aux send for 3 and 4. but. there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of controlling the returns of aux 3 and 4.

It gets weirder. the back of the console has only two returns. all four sends and both returns are XLR returns. and this is it, that's all there is. I tried to find pictures online of the console (It's the 16*8*2 console, btw) to show what i mean, but i couldn't find any. Anyways... It's really got me and richard stumped on this. How the hell do you get four (or more??) outboard signals to come in when there's only two returns? Please don't tell me that my only answer is to route the returns into one of the extra 8 channels... that's going to be a pain in the ass.

Its hard to tell by your description, but does sound like there isn't a routing scheme for returns 3,4.
You did find the alternative, use other channels to bring them back in. It is a PITA, but it works.
Odd they would do that, must be something missing gotta be a routing button or something.
Good luck
you may want to check out recording consol.net, someone there may be able to help you.

http://www.4sync.com/rc/msg/msgsumm.asp

Hmm... I don't think that anything is missing, per se... i just think that they thought that two returns was enough. Meh. Sometimes people don't think with 100% of their accesible brain. heh. anyways, i THINK we got it rigged up right now through the Aux 3 send, and just going to route the return down to a channel between 9 and 16, and then just assign that to the appropriate channel on tape. i sure as hell hope that works haha... if not... we'll find out the hard way.

Back