Problems w/ N-Track/Delta 44/WinXP

gordone

(Posted in Computer Recording and soundcards because I think N-Track is an innocent bystander in this minor PC audio train wreck!)

I've been having a blast with my new 2.54ghz Dell machine, since it's a huge leap above my old 450mhz! Anyway, here's the problem - I usually have N-Track set to output playback to Delta 1/2 (WDM) and all is well. I found when I exit N-Track, and then go play another media file in another player (such as a CD through winamp or Media Player) and return to N-Track, I am unable to playback anything until I reboot. When I hit play, I get two error windows, each saying something to the effect of "unable to access WDM device" (I'm guessing the dialogs are for output 1 and output 2 of the Delta). Sometimes N-Track crashes at this point. I got around it by switching the output in N-Track to WDM multichannel (I think that's what it is) and this works fine, and allows me to quickly switch to another media player without even closing N-Track (of course N-Track will "mute" if I start playing the media in the other application). Is anything wrong with my setup? Was I supposed to be using WDM multichannel all along? It seems that winamp gets a lock on WDM 1/2 and won't release it until I reboot. Finally, sometimes my playback settings get kludged (24-bit, vs. 24-bit unpacked) and the playback will be very soft until I select the other option. I had the same drivers on my old Windows 2000 machine, and it would only allow me to select the unpacked setting (the other was greyed out).
Any ideas would be appreciated! (Slack?)

Do you have the "Latest-and-greatest" drivers from Delta's website???

I'm using N, an Echo Mia soundcard and Win2k/WDM and it works fine. Sounds like som'thin in the Delta drivers to me.... (for what that's worth.)

Back