Problem with Tascam 424 MKIII, someone help!

keglamorphic

Ok, Last night I had a few of the guys from my band come over so we could lay down some tracks. Well it seems that Tracks 1 & 3 record the exact same thing. And Tracks 2 & 4 record the exact same thing. So instead of having vocals and guitar on two seperate tracks, it records them on TWO tracks but they are both on those two tracks. How do I fix this?

Hitting Switches

Sounds like you used 4 mics and had both busses (L+R 1 and 2 and L+R 3 and 4) armed on the 4 track. Switch all four track inputs to "direct" underneath the cassette transport next time. That will run each mic input to it's own track.

Go back and re-read the manual sections about "bussing" and I think you will get a better understanding of what I'm talking about. The single buss in the tascam limits you somewhat but it's the only way to use all 6 inputs at once.

thanks!

thanks for the advice. The only reason I asked is because at the time I couldn't find my manual. When I saw your reply I also found my manual. Thanks for the tip.

Keg,

I see that you've scored a 424mkIII, so congrats. As I said before, I have one, and I think it's a great machine.

As you have now discovered, the 'buss' on the 424mkIII is basically a 2-buss/stereo L-R type buss. All 8 inputs on the main mixer get mixed down to either left, right, or somewhere in between.

As per Dr Grip, and the manual, the tape tracks 1 & 3 record off of the Left side of the stereo buss, and tape tracks 2 & 4 record off the Right side. That's basically inherent in the design, and it's why you got the recording you got, as described.

The answer you're looking for, I think, is a way to record 4 tape tracks with 4 separate inputs, simultaneously. The way to do this, is to switch the REC FUNCTION to DIRECT, on each track, 1-4.

When in DIRECT mode, each track will record only what it's direct channel input is. Track 1 records input 1, track 2 records input 2, etc, directly.

=========

The BUSS vs DIRECT recording methods are all described in the Tascam manual, and the manual is not too bad, if you read it.

=========

Good luck, and again, congrats. I think the 424mkIII is a great machine, and I'm happy for you.

duh

Hey Keg,
What Reel said. Whenever we record we always use the direct function. It gives you tweaking capabilities for each seperate track, like guitar into track 1, mandolin into track 2, well you get picture. Try it. You'll like it. Oh yey, don't forget to hit the record button. One nite we laid down a song with some really good jamming stuff that we were blown away with and were drooling to hear it. Opps, forgot to hit record. Drinking and driving, I mean recording sometimes don't mix.
dtb

dtb,

I'm sure we've all made that mistake, at least once, plus a variety of others,:D :D like accidentally stepping on the punch-in pedal during playback with tracks armed,... YIKES!:eek:

Back