Problem With Recordings Help Please!!!

SCI

sup... i got a rode nt 1 mic and a behringer mixer and a recording soundcard. the quality is good but its on S words and SHHH type of words its very sharp and hurts ears when playback. is this problem to do with how close i am to the mic or the controls on the mixer or the settings on the soundcard. what shall i do to rectify this problem.

SCI......

also if you send a copy off to get mastered which has these words in quality like this would they be able to make it so i wouldnt sound sharp and would it sound cd quality.

i done a track with this setup to listen to it go to www.soundclick.com/sci its called CANT SEE WHAT I SEE and tell me what im doin wrong please.

This problem is called sibilance and it's a very common problem. Things you can do include backing off from the mic, learning to enunciate "s" sounds with less intensity, playing with EQ to try to reduce the energy in the proper frequency bands, using a de-esser (basically a pre-packaged set of anti-sibilance EQ settings) trying a different mic...

Also, sending it to a mastering house means it's in a stereo mix and so they cannot isolate the one track with the sibilance and correct it, they can only try to minimize it at the cost of altering whatever else is in present in the same part of the frequency spectrum in the stereo file. Depending on what's in the mix, it might be possible without deleterious effect to your production, or it might not.

Much better to reduce it on its own track in the multitrack master.

Check out some articles on recording with mics, use of EQ,

Back