problem with playback in cool edit pro

rockmeamadeus

what setting do i need to select so that no audio playback occurs when re-recording over a single track?

I have saved cool edit sessions from months ago that when i arm a track that has recorded material on it, i can hit record and hear no playback of the old recording. this is the way i would like it. but the way my cool edit is configured now, i hear the audio if i were to repeat the process just stated. this leads me to believe some setting got switched up. help if u can.

Also, the problem doesnt occur until i use the channel mixer to select left=both. im currently using that feature to re create stereo sound since i cant seem to pickup any signal from right channel.

Ok, So ive narrowed the problem down to this: the reason i was able arm a track that had recorded material on it, and could then hit record and hear no playback of the old recording was because i wasnt trying to use the channel mixer to simulate stereo by having left channel come out of both left and right. As soon as i choose that feature, cool edit wants to play me the audio of the old recording even tho i am recording over it. So this leads me to two fundamental questions... 1.why am i having trouble recording in true stereo? 2. if i cant record in stereo, is there a way to use channel mixer to simulate stereo by using left=both and not have to hear old recordings when recording over them?

There's no need to record a stereo track for a mono source such as a single microphone, if you record a mono track the sound will come out of both speakers unless you move the track's pan control to one side or the other. There is also no need to use the track mixer plugin to simulate stereo.

I'll walk you through recording a mono track correctly...

1) The first thing to do is to assign your input source, in the track controls area, click on the button that reads "Rec 1", this will pop up the Record Devices dialog box.

2) In the Record Devices dialog box select the Left Channel as your recording source then click on OK, now you will see that the input box in the controls area reads "Rec 1L".

3) Arm the track for recording by clicking on the red "R" button in the track controls area.

4) On the transport controls, hit the record button and you're recording!

There is usually no need to record over anything, if you don't like something right click on the wave block and choose remove block, this will remove it from the multitrack, if you don't like a section of a recording, then split the wave block at both ends of the bad part and then remove the bad part, you can then record a new section to replace the bad part on a seperate track.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a problem with cool-edit pro 2.0.
I have very old music on casette's. What I do is hook the casette player to my computer, then play the music with cooledit pro, edit it(reduce unwanted noise, buzzing,etc. than burn the songs into a cd.

Now my problem is that with my old computer, everything worked fine, but now that I got my new computer, when I play the song in my casette player, which is hooked to the computer, and played through coold-edit pro, I can't hear the playback.

Like I can hear the music once it finished recording and then play it, but while im recording i cant hear it, which is a problem, I have no way of seeing when a song ended and when the next one started.

Now maybe when I switched computer, and downloaded cool-edit pro 2.0 again, maybe a setting was changed or something.

Please help any way possible

For any questions please ask.

What version of Windows do you have on your new computer, and what are you using for a sound card? Just the built in one?

I ask because, with Cool Edit Pro, 90% of the signal routing options are handled by Windows, not within Cool Edit itself. The first place I'd be looking is the Windows sound settings and make sure you have the right things selected on the Recording Tab and the Playback Tab--trouble is, exactly how to do this depends on the Windows version and the sound card.

Back