Problem with my recently bought Tascam 488 Mkii

Milk

So I bought this some weeks ago and I only just realised a problem regarding the speed. It is not when I replay something I recorded. Everything is fine when I play it on my tascam and listen to the recording. But then I took a cassette with recordings I did from the tascam and play it on a cassette player and it plays it REALLY SLOW. And then if I take a cassette of recording my mum did from the radio, and play it on the tascam, the speed will be incredibly fast. Why is that? How do I fix it?

Fear Not, Friend.

That's completely normal. The high end Tascam Portastudios, such as the 488mkII, run at double speed as normal to boost high fidelity. The cassettes sourced from the 488 are not directly compatible with normal stereo cassettes, for speed and head configuration reasons.

What you need to do is produce a mix on the 488 and dub it in stereo down to a standard cassette for "standard" listening purposes, like in your home or car cassette player. This mix can also be dubbed in stereo from the 488 to your 'puter via the sound card line-in to produce mixdown CDs.

On this site there is also a method of getting 8 individual tracks out of the 488mkII for purposes of dubbing each individual track simultaneously to an 8-in audio interface and recording software,... an advanced technique.

Back