Problem with my Delta 44

drummerdoug86

I posted this problem awhile back, but none of the solutions worked, so I'm hoping to get some new ideas on what to do. When I record using Cakewalk PA9 and my Delta 44, I sometimes get a crackling noise on the recording. I am sure this is occurring during the recording and not just on the playback. I have tried getting newer drivers, and I make sure the tracks are not clipping when they are recording, but nothing seems to help. I am wondering if maybe it has to do with my other soundcard. I have another soundblaster card installed that i use for games, playing music, etc. Could this be the problem, that i am getting some kind of interference with my soundblaster? Also know that the crackling does not happen everytime I record, maybe about once every three times, but it's impossible to tell when it's going to occur!! It's driving me nuts!!!

Do you have any background processes (antivirus, Microsoft FindFast, etc.) running while you record?

Are you connected to a network while you record?

These kinds of interference can be caused by all sorts of things.

Generally a cheap or old cable is to blame.

AlChuck,

I have no anti-virus software or any backround programs running that I am aware of and I am not on a network, although I do have my cable internet connected during recording.

Codmate,

I have tried switching XLR and my TPS cables but it still crackles anyway.

What else could it be?

Unplug all if the cables and record a blank track, If you still hear noise, it's not cable related. What operating system are you using? There are tons of tweaks available for all of them. How much memory do you have? This is something that recording software uses like it's going out of style. As for programs running in the background... In Windoze 2000, right click on the Start menu bar and select task manager. Under the processes tab, you should see about 20 processes running. Any more than that and something is hiding in there. In Windoze 98, [CNTRL]+[ALT]+[DEL] will bring up the task manager. You should see a list of all running programs. The only ones necessary are Explorer and Systray. Don't ask me how you would do it in a Mac, I have no clue if there's even such a thing as a task manager.

I have no anti-virus software or any backround programs running that I am aware of and I am not on a network, although I do have my cable internet connected during recording.

If your cable internet connection is present, then you are on a network. The cable "modem" usually connects to a standard Ethernet card in the PC.

I found that when I had my connection active I would have occasional problems recording. So I created a second hardware profile that has the Ethernet card disabled. At boot-up I am presented with the choice to boot into the original configuration or the network-disabled one.

Look in the Windows Help for information on how to accomplish this. (By the way, I have Windows 98 -- the details might be a bit different with XP or 2000.)

Another thought -- often pops and clicks are caused by buffer/latency settings. Have you experimented with these?

Drummer

I had the exact same problem with my Delta 44 when I first got it, although my crackling sound was absent for the first track or two, but after that, whoa nelly.....

I don’t know if your system is similar to mine or not (700mgh AMD Duron, 383mb sdram, Win98se,Via KT7 mobo, CW GTPro), but I have nothing but music related stuff on this ‘puter...no modem, no nuthin’....the only thing that I use it for is digital audio.

I have tweaked this machine up the wazoo (It’s been quite an odyssey over the past 2 years that I’ve owned this card) This includes the buffer settings in GTPro, adding another hdd with swap files and programs on one and audio on another, set my swap files to a fixed size (twice the amount of my ram), installed the .27 beta drivers for the Delta 44 from MAudio’s site, and the VIA 4in1 drivers from the VIA site (this made a big difference in the crackling problems). I have also deleted Internet Explorer (this made a huge difference in the speed at which programs start up). I also set the latency pretty high when recording, and low when editing. I had to get rid of everything in the system tray that wasn’t necessary.

It now runs pretty well (I have the parts for major surgery to upgrade at this point as I’ve realized that in order to really do digital audio right, I should have a better ‘puter to start with). The bottom line is that if you want to do a DAW, IMHO, you’ll want to have a ‘puter with nothing but DAW stuff to do it on.

Have you tried recording without the cable internet connected?

I hope some of the info on the bbs helps.

Good luck
Tom

Back