problem with monitor

ditnoj

Hello all,
I have not been on the site for a while and it's interesting that as it was said, "some things change, and some things never do" (refering to thread topics!)

Anyway,
I just unpacked my PS6's after two years in storage (original boxes, a couple of dessicant packs, place was not that humid)
I notice that one of the monitors upon powering on makes the (woofer moving) "thump" that you would expect from powering something else on after the monitors. Only one monitor does it and I already switched the power cables, disconnected sound sources, etcetera and that same monitor does it.
I also hear a faint ground-like hum. The thunk definitely was not there before, and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed the hum...

Anyway, any ideas on where to start troubleshooting first?

Thanks in advance!

D out ITNOJ

For the hum problem, swap out the cables to the monitor and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, check the output of whatever is feed the monitors, then work your way back through the signal chain, checking cables, mixer channel levels (an empty channel with lots of gain will produce noise), mics, etc.

For the bump problem - assuming it's a powered monitor - disconnect the source feeding the monitor and see if it still happens. If it does, it's the monitor, but not necessarily anything to worry about unless it's a big thump and sounds like it could hurt the speaker. I don't know whaqt you'd do to fix it anyway other than taking it to a tech, probably a power supply filtering problem. Standard practice in most studios is to have the faders feeding the monitors all the way down at power up; this could just be a training issue for you.

If it it's not a powered monitor, work backward through the signal chain as described for the noise problem, could be the mixer or whatever is feeding the monitor.

Back