Problem with Humbucker Pickups

mop93

My Telecaster Deluxe hums really loudly. This started when the jack fell out and it smashed the hard ground. I was told by a friend it was the jack and I replaced it but it still didn't work. The humming is so loud the guitar cannot be made out. My uncle said to put tape around the sautering and it helped a bit but it still hums like mad. What is the problem?

mop93 said:
My Telecaster Deluxe hums really loudly. This started when the jack fell out and it smashed the hard ground. I was told by a friend it was the jack and I replaced it but it still didn't work. The humming is so loud the guitar cannot be made out. My uncle said to put tape around the sautering and it helped a bit but it still hums like mad. What is the problem?

If its humming that loudly, its probably a ground thats come loose. Open up the contol panel and see it the pots and the output jack are all wired together with a common lead or wire connecting all the metal work...a Tele will also have a ground wire that is under the bridge itself. It will be tightened down when the bridge plate it tightened all the way, that wire may have pulled out when the output jack pulled out as well. Send a PM if you need any more suggestions. :cool:

Telecaster output jacks aren't bolted to the body with screws like a strat, the little metal recessed area that the actual jack is held to with washers is just kinda stuck into a hole in the wood. I'm constantly whacking it back into place on mine.

JB1979 said:
Telecaster output jacks aren't bolted to the body with screws like a strat, the little metal recessed area that the actual jack is held to with washers is just kinda stuck into a hole in the wood. I'm constantly whacking it back into place on mine.
The hole shouldn't be large enough for the entire jack to fit through. The theaded part should only fit though from the back and the nut in the cup should hold both parts to the guitar. If the hole in the wood is too big then unscrew the nut, pull the cup off, put a large washer on the jack [larger than the hole in the wood], insert it from the back put the cup back on and screw the nut on. That should hold it firmly to the guitar.

Without seeing it, I can't say. The most likely issue is a grounding problem. Check to make sure that all the grounds are right, but if you aren't sure what is going on, then take it to a professional repair shop. They are sure to be able to take care of it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

JB1979 said:

I learn something new everyday! :)

Back