Problem with echo

AleLeon54

Hi there. I have a podcast and I'm constantly trying different ways to record in order to make it sound better. I don't have any problem when I record with my headphones directly, but I'm having some issues with alternatives.

I recently bought an USB audio card that sounds nice, but the problem is that the microphone connected to it captures everything around me, producing echo when I talk with another person via Skype. This happens even when I have the sound in the headphones at minimum, so it's very annoying. I assumed that it was a problem with the USB sound card, so I decided to stop using it.

Then I was trying to use VoiceMeeter (stereo mix software) to record both my voice and the output sounds from my laptop, and the same problem came up again. The only explanation I have is that the USB card and the VoiceMeeter virtual recording device don't have an acoustic echo cancellation option.

Is this normal? Is my laptop the problem? And most importantly, does it have a solution? I'm afraid that if I buy an expensive USB microphone I'll have the same issue.

Can't really tell from your description but it sounds like you may have your speakers turned up while your using the mic. That would definitely cause echo, or the person on the other end has their speakers turned up too loud. Best guess I can give given the info you posted.
Best of luck!

Back