Problem recording live instrument Sonar 8.5

tetsuo2010

hello all,

i just started using Sonar 8.5, and i am having trouble trying to get the sound of my guitar to Sonar. i've done the best i could to hook everything up right, but when i select echo or i try to record no sound is there. i decided to buy an audio interface CARD....i know a lot of people use outboxes, but i wanted to try an actual card. so i am using an infrasonic quartet. there shouldn't be any problem. i know there is nothing wrong with the guitar. also the audio interface card came with it's own program that lets you see the sound levels of that card, and i get plenty of activity when plucking my strings, matching my input...soo i know my card is good. for some reason, the sound isn't getting to Sonar however... i tried every input/output option and still silence. i set up a live instrument according to Sonar's help file, and it says to start a new "blank" file....and then insert audio track, all of that works fine, but there's nothing actually recorded. not sure what other details to put. any help would be great!

p.s. -and yes i have the audio engine set to "on".

You have set up a new track, but have you assigned the input and output of that track? How are you getting your guitar into the interface? Also, do you have all the ins/outs/ set up in Sonar and recognized by Sonar?

well, my selection of inputs are Quartet audio driver 4 in 4 out. it then expands to 12 different selections form there (im not sure why theres so many). it says Left quartet audio 1/2 , Right Quartet audio 1/2 , Stereo Quartet audio 1/2.... then it's the same for 3/4 ...5/6...and 7/8.

i can also choose high def audio device. it expands to Left HD audio mixed capture [waveRT] (not sure what it is....it might be my onboard sound)
also same for right and stereo....and it has audio digital in [waveRT]

my outputs are Quartet audio 1/2
Q audio 3/4
Q audio5/6
Q audio7/8

HD audio HDMI out [waveRT]
HD audio SPDIF out [waveRT]
HD audio headhpone/speakers [waveRT] for 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 , 7/8
(as single selections)

i have a direct audio cable from my guitar, to an input in my card that is labled "input instrument 1/2"

so im not sure where the problem lies...i've tried mix and matching all of the inputs/outputs...and i didn't seem to get anything, no sound no record.

maybe there is a way to tell sonar what card im using?...

The Quartet card should work fine. You definately have to set it up in Sonar though, and use the ASIO driver option. Also, quartet comes with some kinfd of mixer software to set it up properly. Use that software to configure things, and get a signal. Once you have that, then use Sonar.

When plugged into the 1-2 input as you said, set the input of your guitar track to 1-2 and arm the track. You should now get levels on the meters for that track.

awesome! i saw the mixer that came w/ the card but i didn't really read into it...i thought it was some extra program i didn't need, lol. but i did get one thing wrong... according to the card my instrument is physically plugged into "input 3/4". however i can't tell what's happening im getting audio levels from 3/4 in the mixer, then i go to sonar and i get nothing when i select input 3/4. wired part is i get plenty of audio on input 1/2 in sonar, then i still get no sound. i can actually see it recording correctly! but i have no sound. also if i use the ASIO option it gets rid of all my HD audio [waveRT] options. the only thing i can think of is that i either will be using my sound card as a play back or, the headphone outputs that are on the back of the card...

Glad to see you are getting somewhere. First, you can only use one audio device when you use ASIO drivers. You do not want to use your HD audio at all. Go into your device manager and disable it completely, it will give you nothing but trouble.

OK, so now the Quartet is your audio interface and it is also your soundcard. You need to connect your speakers or headphones to the output of the quartet.

Now, when you are in Sonar, you set the master output to the quartet and you will get sound. Read up about setting the inputs and outputs in Sonar and all your problems will be solved!

Well, i seem to have went backwards...i am now having trouble just getting my audio interface to work. i remember trying figure out my problem with the inputs, sonar said input 1/2 while it was actually plugged into 3/4....so i tried plugging into 1/2. well i pulled out the cable while the sound engine was on, and that caused the computer to freeze, i guess it really doesn't like that. well the indication light on the back letting me know my card works also turned off.

at one time the all the gain levels in my card were sky high at the peak, and wouldn't go down no matter what. i don't know what i did...but later on after several restarts and no idea what else...it stopped showing high gain levels and it worked, then i gave it a restart and it's not working again, and now the drivers just wont install for quartet. device manager just keeps putting it under "other devices". i definitely disabled my high def audio device. even though it's disabled now, it still won't give drivers to quartet, im almost certain there are still conflicting devices.

Thanks again! im not sure what went wrong, but i found that my on board sound was somehow still causing conflictions, so i rebooted without any Audio interface at all (on board also turned off), powered off....then installed quartet again...rebooted and it's been working for days now. i can't get the driver to fail now so i think they are finally stable. the only thing is...it might be normal but the volume coming back through my speakers is kinda low...i've put it up to max, and i'd like to try and hear my speakers over my acoustic guitar. any ideas?

Back