osion

Hi,
my setup is
Windows XP
Delta Audiophile 2496
Sonar 2.2
Studio Projects VTB1- (preamplifier)
Studio Projects C1 (microphone)

When I try to record, I hear this staticlike sound that reminds me of ocean waves. Also when I arm the track I'm recording with, the decibel level doesn't fluctuate depending on how much noise there is, it stays constant regardless. How can I figure out what is wrong? I only own one preamplifier and one microphone so I can't replace them and see if it works.
any help is appreciated,
thanks

Your shouldn't be causing the problem. Perhaps your sample buffer is too small. Check your soundcard's config panel and raise the sample buffer to something around 800, then check if the noise is gone. If so, lower the sample buffer to the last value that doesn't produce any crackles.

i think your problem is that you don't have it set to the correct ins, therefore you're monitoring noise... do you hear ANY of the orig. signal? if not, you're probably not using the correct ins.

thanks for the replies.
Halion, I went to the M-Audio Control Panel and the buffer size is 128. I raised it to 256 but when I played stuff back there were cracks and pops.
Wesley, I don't hear any of the original signal. When you say correct ins, you're talking about the ins in the M-Audio Control Panel? (not the ins in Sonar). Would you happen to know where I can check that?
gravehill, I don't have the soundcard synced to SPDIF.
I played around with the M-Audio Control Panel changing settings and stuff and so far have had the same static sound when i record.
thanks again for your help. Im so frustrated with this problem, any other suggestions?

Back