problem assembling a new PC

DeadPoet

carpe diem
Hi y'all,

I'm having this problem assembling a new PC for a friend. It's about identical to my setup with a few minor changes:

Asus A7N8X-X motherboard,
AMD Athlon XP2,600+ (333FSB) cpu
Infineon 512Mb (I have two of these, he has one)
WD 80Gb harddisk (diff in mine)
Samsung 48/24/48 CD-RW
some nvidia FX5000 dual head video card.

The systems boots, but the moment I want to copy or read something from any CD-ROM (being a Win98 install, an XP install, whatever) it has problem reading some files, and it's always different files it has problems with...

I've changed the stock PSU to a Zalman (I normally use Enermax in new systems, but they weren't in stock, Zalman should be equally good), I even changed the CD-RW in store... to no avail...

Anyone with ideas ???
I'll try with different mobo, cpu, video card,etc in a few days, but maybe I'm missing something obvious here ????

TIA,
Herwig

what is the message you are getting?

it sounds like your trying to install the o.s. and while it's copying the files it fails during the copy process...no?

Emeric: memtest86 - the bootCD with the memory burn-in tested OK, it's the first thing I run when a pc is assembled.

pyssdogg: messages like: 'file xxxxxxxx.xxx failed to copy', 'cannot read xxxx.CAB file', etc... Whether I manually copy the win98 disc to harddisk and run the setup from there, or run the setup of either 98 or XP directly from disc it gives me these...

I'll try this week by exchanging some components with my personal pc to see what it could be... could it be the ram even if memtest says it's ok ?

(oh yeah, I've tried putting harddisk and cdrom on all different slave/master combinations too)

Couldn't be a BIOS setting either, no ?

Herwig

are you trying to install an OS or just read a disc? state what stage of assembly your at...

humm, check the drive jumper/cable/driver or the drive itself...

also check the bios to see the system is seeing the drive...

sounds like a bad or miss config drive to me, with the info you've given...

Why are you installing 98? I think it blows - go with 2000 or xp. Are you booting from the cd or from floppy? If you need boot disks, check out bootdisk.com Have you tried using the os disc on another machine? The disc could be bad and/or cdrom could be bad.

GOT IT !!!! It was an incompatible cd-romplayer !!! :(

Emeric: I swapped the memory, and it didn't help.

mikedaul: I tried a Win98 install just in case to check if it wasn't my XP install disc that had gone bad or so...

Fusion2: last week I exchanged the cd(rw) for a different one (same brand and model) but that didn't help. I just tried hooking my own Plextor to it and *tadaaaa* Windows XP *just* finished copying files...

So... thread closed: incompatible CD-player... Too bad the store is closed this week for holidays, but I will change the Samsung drive I had from them for another brand. The samsung was a promo (€39!) ...

(for those interested I configured a pc for under €700 without screen, keyboard or mouse: Asus A7N8X-X mobo, AMD XP2,600+, Zalman flower cooler, Maxtor 80Gb HDD, CD-RW 48/24/48, nVidia FX5400 dual head video card, some midi tower and a Zalman PSU. Silent, fast and cheap)

Herwig

DeadPoet said:
GOT IT !!!! It was an incompatible cd-romplayer !!! :(

(for those interested I configured a pc for under €700 without screen, keyboard or mouse: Asus A7N8X-X mobo, AMD XP2,600+, Zalman flower cooler, Maxtor 80Gb HDD, CD-RW 48/24/48, nVidia FX5400 dual head video card, some midi tower and a Zalman PSU. Silent, fast and cheap)

Herwig

humm, your hardware is to new to be a compatibly issue, then again, samsung is not a highly reviewed drive from what i've seen, drive was most likely just junk...

it happens nowadays, liteon rules as far as cd-rw's go, try newegg.com reviews...

off you go, :)

Back