proaudio9 help please! Cant record?!?!

MrKwik

**will man ho for gear**
Ok, I installed proaudio 9. I set up a couple tracks to record some audio. I can hear the audio through my speakers all the time, but when I try to record, nothing. I armed the tracks I am trying to record and I think I have it hooked up right. I set the source on the tracks correctly I think, I set them to the sound card left and right. I have the line out on my soundcard hooked to my monitor amp, and the line in jack hooked up to my source. Iv read through the help files and all the normal stuff. What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting somewhere that I cant find? I thought that maybe it was the soundcard, so I installed it on my laptop and got the same thing. Im not computer stupid by any means, but this is making me feel really stupid. If it makes any differance, the machine Im using in my studio is a AMD 300 with 64 meg a Yammaha card and win 98se. The laptop is a Toshiba satellite with 128 an ESS Maestro and win2kpro.

-Mike

MrKwik - firstly do you get the incoming audio reading on your CWPA9 console meters?? you should have a reading there to start with.

Have you run the wave profiler in Options/Audio??

cheers
john

The only time that I get anything on the meters is when I hook the source to the mic input on the sound card, bet then of course the signal is severly distorted. I get nothing on the meters when I have it hooked up to the line in on the card but I can hear the source in my monitors, like its just feeding straight through. It doesnt even matter if I have cakewalk running or not. I will have to check on that wave profiler, I played with a few things but I dont know about that. Is there something particular I should look for there?

-Mike

I messed around in there a little. I hear the source all the time unless I mute it in the windows mixer.

If the mike is getting through albeit distorted it means that the input to cakewalk is working. ;)

open your windows mixer and click on options/properties. Then select recording and make sure line in is selected.

cheers
john

There are two places the source gets piped. One is stright to the output bus. So if the Line In is enabled for playback, you can hear anything plugged in there at the output. This does not mean that you are piping it into the recording pathway. This is set separately. The Windows mixer lays all this out in an incredibly stupid non-intuitive way so that the recording controls are not at all obvious; you have to dig a bit.

Cakewalk's website has a very good article about how to do this so I won't bother to try to explain it myself:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Lessons/WindowsMixer.htm

Thanks everyone, I got it working. I had messed around in the windows mixer, but I guess I was messing with the playback settings instead of record and it was set to mic as the source. Thanks for the help.

-Mike

Yeah, MrKwik, glad you got it... don't feel bad about not grokking that Windows Mixer utility on first glance, nobody does. It's not Cakewalk support's most commonly-asked question for nothing...

Back