Pro Tools ?

M Havlen

OK, everytime I mention to someone that I do some computer recording they say " oh you use Pro Tools " I say well no...I use Sonar, and Sound Forge.
How is it every musician seems to know about "Pro Tools". Is it that good? Is it for use on Macs and PC's. Do you have tp have certain hardware to use PT software? Just curious.

From my investigations over the last couple of weeks I've come to learn that there are different levels of Pro Tools. Yes you need specific hardware to go with the software.

I've been producing a band in a studio with the top of the range version of Pro Tools and it is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Imagine walking into a top studio and seeing no mixing desk, just a big screen, a mouse and some monitors. I think Pro Tools is completely logical and its interface reminds me a little bit of Reason. It just seems to make so much sense.

Having said that I've only used Cubase software and various bits of hardware to record audio before.

In my personal opinion Pro Tools is the shit and I'm spending £2,000 in the next month or so to get myself the current cheapest option, a Digi 002 rack, a really shit hot PC and an ADAT interface. That will give me 16 tracks of simultanious record and 32 tracks of playback. The main benefit is that I can get half way through a mix, save it and then come back to the mix later. I could even take a CD to another studio and the mix would load up exactly the same there.

Have a look on the digidesign website to learn a little about it.

All musos have heard of it because it is the industry standard.

Unless you plan on taking your Pro tools LE tracks to a professional studio, or you want to shell out $10 ger or more on a high end pro tools system, there really is no advantage to using pro tools over other recording appz in a home recording environment. It's really just a matter of preference. If you have the right gear (mic pres, mics, board, etc) and knowledge to use it, any of the reputable audio/midi sequencing programs will get the job done.

Back