Pro Tools LE for WinXP

charger

So Digidesign just came out with their Pro Tools LE update for WinXP. Besides supporting XP, it also has increased the audio track limit by 8 tracks to 32, and it's come out before the equivalent Mac OS X release. Does this still mean that Pro Tools is a Mac-only product? Cuz I know there are plenty of Mac users who feel like this indicates that Digi now favors the much larger Windows market.

I wonder if it's just because it was easier to port to XP. I've heard some bad things about OS X from many Mac users I personally know. Mac users, how is OS X?

Since I'm a PT user on PC, all I can say is, I'm happy.

Protools is certainly not a Mac only product and hasn't been for a while. My XP-Digi001 is rock solid and sounds fantastic.

Robert

I use Pro Tools on a Mac and a PC. My 001 system has always been solid on the PC, and my TDM system is solid on the Mac (OS 9.2.2). However, I think the issue with OS X is that it is so slow. Whenever I switch over to OS X, I am always amazed by 1) how pretty it is (very touch me, click me), and b) how slow it is. Things like opening a dialog or displaying a menu easily take twice the time they do on a PC or on OS 9.2.2. It's a lot of overhead to run that operating sytem. I think it may be an issue of being able to get the right performance out of it... also, the kernel change is pretty vast from OS 9 to OS X, it's probably smaller leap from 98 to XP.

Back