Pro Tools LE Class - Worth taking?

Phreesoal

I found an instructor-led Pro Tools LE class being offered at $249.00 for 4 hours. This piqued my interest of course, especially the price! I'd personally like to learn PT LE and then step up to learning the big-dog at some point.

Nevertheless...

Can anyone who actually uses or knows much about PT LE tell me if such a class is worth taking? Of course my main concern is, can anyone make complete songs with LE and will a class help get someone there quicker and maybe better than trying to waddle through learning it on their own? I have been told that virtually, PT and PT LE are identical but of course PT has several additional tools LE doesn't.

In a nutshell, here's what the class teaches:

The class covers LE system basics (computer requirements, hardware i/o's available, capabilities, etc.), steps and techniques for audio recording, most common edit techniques, modes, and tools, basic mixing functions such as signal routing and plug-ins, mix down using bounce to disk command, and overview of CD burning procedures. In general, all of the steps in creating a final product.

If you have taken this class yourself (or something very similar relating only to LE), I'd like to hear about it.

Gimme your feedback! Thanks... ;)

Phree

Have you used similar software (Cubase, Sonar, Vegas, etc..)? If so, then I wouldn't recommend the class. It took me about an hour with the manual to cover all the things you listed, though I've used other audio software.

If you are new to recording software, it may be worth it. Although 4 hours is going to be a crash coarse. It takes several months if not years to get to know the software well. If you got the extra cash, go for it. If tight on money, skip it and learn from the manual and practice.

I love my simple PT LE!

Man, Don't even think about it.. I never even looked at a DAW... I was an adat man through and through... I brought home the new computer with my new Digi 001 package and had it mastered within 1-2 days.... Simple.... and Self explanatory.... And I had never used anything else computer based.. Not N-track, or anything... just tape and adats.....

If you have any questions about it.. Just email me and ask..

voxvendor@voxvendor.com

Forget about that class. (In my opinion)

They use to send for free a video to market the PTLE 001.

I saw it at a friends house and as they go by the features you get the general picture and see them do edits and other stuff that can start you out. Check it out on their site.

I use PT and although it has a "PRO" name stuck to it, I find it so self explantory and simple that you should pick it up in no time as Vox said.

Before PT many years ago I used Logic......ever read a German manual translated to english ?!?!:eek: :confused: not to mention the user interface.....

Ok, good feedback....

Actually, I've tried Reason (demo only), Acid and Cubase (trials). I was at least able to get demos going in Reason and make changes that I was able to "hear." :) (Wooo, how easy was that to do???)

With the other two, after I installed them and ran them a couple times, I looked at all the settings, features, tools, etc. and said oh no, this is too confusing. So, I backed off. I had no manuals and didn't know what I was even looking at. I think it's important to say that I've never done anything like this before (recording/producing/editing), I have no formal music training nor do I play any instruments well. So, I'm starting from square 0, not even 1.

Nevertheless, I want to produce music. I decided to have a better outlook about learning software and using it to do what I need. I'm ready to get over this hang up and learn one powerful app really well and pick up on other apps in the process too.

Whether it's Reason, PT/PT LE, DP, Cubase, Logic, etc, I want to get down the fundamentals because that to me is important. So, I thought having someone experienced to help me learn those fundamentals (although in a short 4 hours and somewhat specifically related to PT vs other apps) would be time and money well spent.

But..........if you all say that I should try learning on my own by reading the manual then perhaps I should try that first. Are you referring to a manual by Digidesign or a 3rd party book someone has written on PT LE?

Phree

You can't learn enough in 4 hours. Assuming you have a PT LE system, just use it. If you don't even have PT, you'll forget everything you've learned within a few days. The only way to really learn is to use your software and use it a lot.

Unless of course $249 really isn't much to you...in which case go for it :)

Slackmaster 2000

Re: I love my simple PT LE!

VOXVENDOR said:
I brought home the new computer with my new Digi 001 package and had it mastered within 1-2 days....
[/B]

Everything ?? I find that very difficult to believe !!!

The class covers LE system basics (computer requirements, hardware i/o's available, capabilities, etc.), steps and techniques for audio recording, most common edit techniques, modes, and tools, basic mixing functions such as signal routing and plug-ins, mix down using bounce to disk
command, and overview of CD burning procedures. In general, all of the steps in creating a final product.

I bet you could learn that stuff by reading the manual and spending some time at the DUC

At least that's how I'm doing it.;)

its simple enough to use, but there's a ton of cool stuff in PT once you dick around with it for a while..

I couldn't imagine that they would teach you enough in that class to make it worth you're while. Hell, just find someone on here that uses pt and lives near you and bum advice off of them. I'll teach you PT for 250 bucks :)

I'm with Slack - you can't learn enough in four hours, and you'll forget half (or more) within a few days.

However, if $250 isn't a lot for you, it may be worth it just for the introduction.

I'd get it up and running and learn by going through it and reading the manual. When you run into stuff that you've tried four times doing it exactly like it says in the manual and it still isnt right, post it here and one of us will be able to help.

foo

Re: Re: I love my simple PT LE!

Stealthtech said:

Everything ?? I find that very difficult to believe !!!

Well, I knew everything that is used to record on a day to day basis... Basic recording.....editing... routing, mix screen.... Automation....... Bussing.. plug ins....etc..

The only thing I was foggy on was Midi... and that was totally due to me not needing it yet, so I didn't try it for a good few months..

Maybe "Mastered it" was a strong term to use... but I could use most of the software needed for day to day recording operations within the first 1-2 days......

Do you have LE Stealthtech?... If so How long did it take you?

(Just wondering)

Joe

I think that the opposite aproach is good for Protools: learn the basics by yourself, and when you know enough find someone who can teach you the hidden and advanced tricks.
As it was said, using the search function in the DUC and asking question (in that order, if not you won't get answers) will cover everything you need to know.

Protools is really easy to use, and I think it's the greatest feature of it compared with the others.

Check this link:
http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/archive/digizine_april02/lebootcamp/

And there are more here: http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/

Cheers, Andrés

So everyone is still on the same page about this, which is to forego the class and start teaching myself.

If LE is fairly easy to grasp, what was the deal with the other apps I've tried? Is it that those others just have a steep learning curve???

Thanks. :)

Phree

I'm gonna add my .02 to the mix:

I like what Andres said. Learn the basics yourself. If you get stumped, go to DUC like M.Brane suggested. THEN, if you're getting into more esoteric functions and can't find it on DUC, find someone with a PT studio in your area, ask if they know how to do what YOU want to do, pay them for an hour of their time, and learn. I've done that before. It's awesome. And it's like $75 for one hour to get the dirt on something I gave the ol' college try to and couldn't figure out (my problem specifically had to do with transferring sessions between TDM and LE systems and I don't have TDM, so ...).

Chances are, between DUC and the PDF help and your creative curiosity, you'll do just fine without a class. I found PT very intuitive.

Have fun, and just play with the toys! :)

I don't use Pro Tools, but I do have a lot of contact in the IT world with similar crash courses offered for Microsoft certification, Novell, etc.

My advice to you would be:

The ONLY scenario where you would want to take this class would be this: you have already spent time with Pro Tools, enough that you can formulate some inteligent questions. AND you want to work in a (someone elses's) studio that uses Pro Tools, and to have something that shows you have at least minimal expertise. In this case, go to the class, hammer the instructor with all your questions, then take your certificate/whatever that shows you took the class and go knock on the studio door.

In any other case, I would say just play with the software on your own.

Cubase and Logic are both famous for having steep learning curves...so yes, you did start with the hard ones.

Your real problem is that you just want to get into "production", which is a vague sort of thing to be getting into in the first place. I can't imagine a producer every *needing* to learn an audio application.

Why do you want to learn protools? You know you can't use LE without an interface...so learning on your own might not be an option unless you have access to a studio or already invested in the hardware...which again would be weird for a producer :)

Re-reading your post, it sounds like you are really headed off in the wrong direction...filled with marketing buzz and high hopes!

A producer: somebody who keeps things moving - seeing a project through from start to finish. This person doesn't have to have any engineering experience (e.g. they might not touch knobs, they won't be software wizards, etc), they're just there to make sure the project comes out the way the band or label wants it to. A producer has a good ear and knows what's going to be successful. Often times producers are accomplished musicians who can help a group arrange music, find clever sounds, etc (and sell their souls!).

An engineer: somebody who is actually involved in the recording process. He might be responsible for tracking, mixing, and/or mastering a project. These are the guys who do the real recording work. They are usually musicians as well, at least to some degree. A successful engineer has great ears and knows the difference between good sounds and bad sounds (which is harder than it sounds).

Sometimes engineers act like producers and sometimes producers act like engineers.

So where exactly do you want to be involved? How will learning Protools LE get you there?

Slackmaster 2000

Re: Re: Re: I love my simple PT LE!

VOXVENDOR said:

Well, I knew everything that is used to record on a day to day basis... Basic recording.....editing... routing, mix screen.... Automation....... Bussing.. plug ins....etc..

The only thing I was foggy on was Midi... and that was totally due to me not needing it yet, so I didn't try it for a good few months..

Maybe "Mastered it" was a strong term to use... but I could use most of the software needed for day to day recording operations within the first 1-2 days......

Do you have LE Stealthtech?... If so How long did it take you?

(Just wondering)

Joe

No Sir, I've been using Logic Audio for about 5 years and I still dont know it all. But as Slack has pointed out, it is one of the harder ones to master. Maybe PT is quicker to learn, dont know. I just found it rather odd about what you said, but dont worry, I wasn't flaming you...just a comment that probably wasn't really neccesary.

we can help

You have any questions, just pose them in theis forum or on the DUC. I do all of the stuff you mentioned that the class covers pretty frequently. VoxVendor knows a lot about PT, and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in it too... I wrote several of the manuals, including the original Digi 001 Quickstart... Also, don't be afraid to actually read the Reference Guide (it's a PDF only with PTLE); it's chock full of good information.

Back