pro tools HD, on pc or mac?

frequency_

Do you think its better to run Pro tools HD on a mac or on a pc? Or is it just the same thing? Then how about plugins? Are the same plugins made for both platforms?

Mac. I've never seen ProTools on a PC in a commercial studio, and I personally don't know a single person using it on a PC in their home studio either. None, it's all Macs. Not that ProTools HD on PC users aren't out there, I'm sure they must be out there somewhere. But it seems to work really well on the Mac.

I use PT LE with an Intel Mac and it's flawless.

Plugins are different by the platform.

I have talked with a lot of people using Pro Tools HD on PC's. It seems to run just as stable on PC as it does on Mac. At least the people I have talked to don't seem to report any more issues than Mac users seem to.

nah, I run PT on a PC. No problems with the program itself. And in fact, I don't think I've had any OS problems in quite awhile. I think the reason people usually like PC over Mac is OS issues...and familiarity. PC's I find are just much more "tweakable" and a lot cheaper. I just know PC's better, so i prefer to stick with it. Plus...all the other (video) computers at our studio are PC's, so I prefer to stay at least a LITTLE compatible.

Many of the Venue systems (built with PT HD) are built on PC, as they can be built into a rack case and is alot easier for transport for tour companies. Theyre also alot easier to maintain and suport out on the road. We've built probably 10-15 PTHD rigs for one touring company alone, so I know there are many out there being used in the pro touring industry.

We've also put PTHD PC rigs (dual opteron machines mostly, fwiw) into a few heavy hitters personal studios.

PTLE I would do on a PC... more horsepower for less money. I run it on my PC and at my friend's studio he runs it on a PC as well. PT TDM/HD, I would run on a Mac. Simply because Metric Halo's ChannelStrip plugin is Mac-only.

That would be news to me. I'd probably dump my old Mac if I could get ChannelStrip on the PC.

Supported Formats:
TDM, RTAS, AU, VST, MAS

Supported OS:
Mac OS 10.3.9, 10.4.x

http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/demo/

hmm, looks like when they added the RTAS option they changed it to Mac only. If you have a TDM system look to see if you can find an older version of the plug. It only works on TDM, but works great on my master fader.

Well, I have a Mac TDM system, and I've been using ChannelStrip there... as far as I can tell, they never made a PC version... you sure it's not some other channel strip? I'm always on the lookout for good ones, especially for PC, and cheap.

https://www.mhsecure.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=5&id=35&artlang=en

positive. Version 1.1
I used to have it on an old Mac, but when I transfered over to the PC I realized the installation disc was for both PC and Mac.

here's a screen shot. looks a little different than the new ones though.
https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4/83686947bn2.jpg

Back