Pro Tools HD | Native

It's not worth it...

The way I look at it is that it's just software. If you let go of the software there are so many other better native setup choices that beat the hell out of HD native.

Personally if I was going to drop a load of cash on a system it would be something along the lines of a apogee symphony running a DAW that was intended to run as a native system.

If avid really wanted to compete in the native world, they would relase HD as a native package that ran with any soundcard you wanted and charge in the same price area as Nuendo (so around $1.5-2k or so).

All IMO of course. :)

Looks Great to me...

I, for one, am really excited about this release. That being said, it's not for everyone.

Guitargodgt: To your point, I don't think Avid wants to 'compete in the native world' as you define it. Apple will never release a version of OS X that doesn't require an Apple computer and likewise Avid will never release software that doesn't require their hardware. Avid and Apple are hardware companies at their core and selling software is not their business.

For you, the Symphony system may make the most sense. For me I would much prefer to use one manufacturer to handle the whole process from software through the hardware. Thankfully, the market offers both options, and then some! Competition is a wonderful thing.

Personally, I'm thrilled with this middle ground between Protools HD and Protools LE. It brings the HD feature set into my grasp and for that I am very excited. Avid is going to 'Legacy' my current 002r setup pretty soon I suspect and once I'm ready to move into my new studio space, this Native system will likely be in my future.

Sure, you pay $3500 for the card (which supports up to 64 I/O) and then you still have to add costly Avid interfaces, but the entry point is well under a Protools HD system and Native will still do everything I need it to.

Count me in the group of people this product is targeted at!

Actually, looking up the cost of a full fledged 003 system the price point isn't that bad.

What burns me is that it's $3500 for the card only. You want to throw on your converters (even if you decide not to go with digi 96 or 196 I/O) and your looking at a few more thousand:

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/hdnative/

By that time honestly I would be looking at a used HD2 setup.

Michael Wagener's Wire World studio is a prime example of a studio that doesn't use pro tools and is still an amazing studio.

Back