Pro Tools Beginner?

ElegyOfficial

Hello, I just bought Pro Tools and i was wondering where to start...

I just bought Pro Tools and it should be coming in the mail in a few days so i just kinda want to gather some areas to research and learn more and more about Pro Tools. Is there any good sites that can help you get started with Pro Tools? Preferably that could help record a band (Vocals, Bass, Guitar etc.) like with adding effects and such. I'm not looking for a step by step way to understand Pro Tools, i just want to understand Pro Tools and learn what is where and such. And i understand that Pro Tools is somewhat complicated but its a good time to figure it out aye? :)

And this is kind of a random question...but does Pro Tools come with a Pitch correction plug in? Like, not like gsnap where it automatically corrects pitch for you but where you can load your vocals and drag the pitch of words higher or lower for a higher or lower pitch, if you don't know what i'm talking about then Pro Tools probably doesn't have it i'm guessing teehee :) and thats okay.

Thanks for reading my post and thanks for your answers to come!
-Nate

but does Pro Tools come with a Pitch correction plug in? Like, not like gsnap where it automatically corrects pitch for you but where you can load your vocals and drag the pitch of words higher or lower for a higher or lower pitch,e

that wouldn't be a pitch "correction" plugin then
that would be a pitch shifting plugin ;)

Yes, PT has pitch shift capability. It's not the greatest (IMO)...but it works.

with regards to where to go to learn how to use PT, this forum is great. Also, the manual has pretty much everything you'll need to know...so start there.

Good luck and happy recording!

that wouldn't be a pitch "correction" plugin then
that would be a pitch shifting plugin ;)

Yes, PT has pitch shift capability. It's not the greatest (IMO)...but it works.

with regards to where to go to learn how to use PT, this forum is great. Also, the manual has pretty much everything you'll need to know...so start there.

Good luck and happy recording!

Ahh thanks for correcting me about that :)
Is there one you can buy as a plug in or something that is a bit better, if there is how much might that cost?

Well, thats simple enough for me, if this forum doesn't work i refer to limitless-studios.com but i think of "If homerecording.com can't do it noone can" haha. They have a PDF manual don't they? because i wanna get to reading so i can kind of know SOMETHING about pro tools, because i don't like that feeling of not knowing stuff haha.

Anyway thank you so much for your response bennychico11 :)

Hello, I just bought Pro Tools and i was wondering where to start...

I just bought Pro Tools and it should be coming in the mail in a few days so i just kinda want to gather some areas to research and learn more and more about Pro Tools. Is there any good sites that can help you get started with Pro Tools? Preferably that could help record a band (Vocals, Bass, Guitar etc.) like with adding effects and such. I'm not looking for a step by step way to understand Pro Tools, i just want to understand Pro Tools and learn what is where and such. And i understand that Pro Tools is somewhat complicated but its a good time to figure it out aye? :)

And this is kind of a random question...but does Pro Tools come with a Pitch correction plug in? Like, not like gsnap where it automatically corrects pitch for you but where you can load your vocals and drag the pitch of words higher or lower for a higher or lower pitch, if you don't know what i'm talking about then Pro Tools probably doesn't have it i'm guessing teehee :) and thats okay.

Thanks for reading my post and thanks for your answers to come!
-Nate
I've got a shortcuts keyboard set from Editors Keys its really good you just stick the sticker onto your keyboard then all the shortcuts are there for you ill include the link at the bottom :)

http://www.editorskeys.com/pro-tools-keyboard-mac-pc.html

Yeah, danczer brought up keyboard shortcuts which I didn't think of initially. But man, life is so much easier when you memorize and get used to a bunch of shortcuts.

I'll just list some of the ones I use the most. The reason I use these the most is well.. because I felt they were useful enough to justify learning and remembering. This is just a small selection of what I use on a regular basis.. and they are off the top of my head right now without having PT open.

I STILL feel like I need to learn 3x the shortcuts I know currently.

I'm just trying to get my point across how many there are and how useful it is to know them. They can take a while to learn and soak in.

Study hard :)

(*Firstly, these are all for the Edit window, so you'll want to make sure that "keyboard focus" is turned on for it. To do so, click the icon on the top right that says "az", making sure it's lit up. You can only have keyboard focus on in one section at a time (there is an 'edit' section, a 'group' section', and a 'mix' section).)

EDIT WINDOW

r - zoom out
t - zoom in
Tab - "tab to transient", VERY handy when editing, especially when pocketing. Make sure it's turned on, though (button in top-left with little arrow pointing to the right toward a transient of a waveform).
F5, F6, and F7 - when hitting these individually, you select different tools for editing. F6 is trim, F7 is selection, and F8 is grabber. Hold down 2 or more at the same time and it puts the multi-tool into effect (what I use 99.9% of the time). You can also select the multi-tool by clicking on the "spacebar" above the three in the top-left).

Enter/return - returns edit insertion to zero / beginning of project

Ctrl + B - cut/split region (region = clip of audio)

- - - - - - -

GLOBAL

Ctrl + Spacebar Starts recording (if a track is record-enabled)
Alt + ___ - applies to ALL tracks
Alt + Shift + ___ - applies to SELECTED tracks
(so, if you hold Alt + Shift and click a 'solo' button, every track you have selected with become solo'ed. This shortcut works for many different actions, as does the Alt + ___ shortcut)

Ctrl + K - Turns preroll/postroll on or off (preroll = if you want to have extra time after 'starting' the recording and before the playback/recording actually starts, change it accordingly in the transport)
Alt + K - Switch input monitoring between "Auto input monitoring" or "Input only monitoring"

Ctrl + Shift + N - Create new track(s)

- - - - - - -

NUMBER KEYPAD SHORTCUTS

Ctrl + 1 - Displays/Hides Transport
Alt + 2 - Brings up Event Operations window (I think.. well it's the one where you can change the tempo, anyway)

- - - - - - -

NOTES ABOUT FADES

1. For a fade-in or fade-out, have the multi-tool selected. Hover cursor on the top corner, just inside a region.
The cursor will change and you will be able to click and drag a fade.

2. For a cross-fade between two regions which are overlapping or sitting shoulder-to-shoulder, hover cursor on the bottom half,
where the regions come together. The cursor will change and you will be able to click and drag a cross-fade.

Back