Pro Tools audio file question...newbie

Protoolfool

Hi

I had a question regarding pro tools audio file allocation and wasn't sure which room I should post this question.....sorry I'm a newbie to the forum and wasn't sure where to ask questions regarding Pro tools.....Thanks.

Pro tools Question

I just got Pro tools Le a couple of months ago and proceeded to record a least a dozen songs containing a least 20 tracks. Like a newbie I saved all the audio files to the same folder{idiot}. So now I've got one audio file folder containing 8 gigs of hard space with none of the audio files files named. My question is how the hell do I save one of these songs,and it's audio files to cd when I have all of these songs sharing the same audio folder? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm not in front of PT at the moment so its from memory....

Open the session then go to "Save session copy" and check all the box's you need like format...bit depth and of course "copy audio files and session plugins" etc...

Save to new location and you have your session all set - new with the files u need only.

Hey Shailat

Thanks so much my friend. Copy session worked and I was able to isolate those audio files. you really saved me alot of time. I was thinking about having to blow out some of those songs...........ouch!!Now I have each song and all of it's components burned onto individual cd's. Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

For future reference, when you create a new session make sure you tell PT to save the audio files in the session's own "audio files" folder. It does this by default, so my guess is that you instructed the software to save all the files into that same folder.

That "save session copy in..." feature has saved my butt many times. But as your recordings get more complex (such as using more than one session in a recording) you may still lose some files. The best thing to do is have the software put all files in the appropriate folder from the begining.

Also, if I read your dilemma correctly, you need to NAME your tracks ... and your audio regions (which get named automatically based on the name of the track). Come up with a naming system. Mine incorporates the name of the instrument plus date (this last very important for me to keep track of different playlists) ... some people also add the name of the song. If you don't add the name of the song, you gotta be really sure you're keeping your audio files separated by the folder of the song/session name, even in backup.

I think every ProTools user learns about file management after looking at a bunch of "Audio_1" regions and trying to figure out which one was the one to import into a session ... It's like a rite of passage ... congratulations, you're at the next level! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions....This is the first time I've used this forum and I've gotta say it's Great. So glad I found it.
Thanks again.

Cheers

Back