Pro Tools 9 Compatability with OS X Lion?

SloppyJo

So I'm new to recording. After many months of research, I compiled myself a list of gear that I would get. Two of these things are an iMac and Pro Tools 9. I learned recently that iMac has updated it's operating system to OS X Lion.

Yesterday while buying Pro Tools 9 at my local pro audio store, the salesman mumbled something about Pro Tools 9 not being compatible yet with Lion.

I haven't gotten my Mac yet, so my question is should I buy a Mac with snow leopard, or wait for Avid and/or Apple to sort this out and get lion?

Thanks

The best way to know for sure is to visit avid's site,

But, traditionally they are very slow to adapt to the world around them.

Personally, i'd go snow leopard for a few reasons.
Avids slow update speed is one, and the fact that 10.6 is fully refined is another.

Lion is split new, and it's conceivable that Apple will be ironing out problems for a good few months and just as many decimal points.

Have you checked here and on Gs and places like that to see if anyones using lion and PT9?
It might be one of the rare ones that just works.
Technically, my computer is 'not compatible' with Pro Tools, but it works fine. It just means Avid haven't verified it.

Also, If i have it correct, Lion is 64 bit only whereas snow can be booted in either 32 or 64.
This has the potential to cause problems driver wise with hardware you may have.

Google will tell you for sure. :)

Thanks for the reply... I overlooked that Lion is brand new and thus potentially buggy. That's a few points in snow leopard's favour for sure

I'm having the same problem. I bought my macbook pro w/ lion pre-installed on monday and pro tools wouldnt start up. The sales guy at the apple store told me they sold their last snow leopard units the day before. Just my luck :(

9.0.3 is correct....at least since last week. PT9 on a fully functional Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 is so smooth and fast I'm not sure why you'd care if you had the 'latest' and the greatest....Besides being 'authorized' by Avid is a good thing for the support. The part you want to be sure of is the speed of your processor, the size of your cache, and the speed of the ram as well as the amount. Lotsa fast Ram makes for ease in recording stuff with lots of plugs and the like. I'm at a Quad with 16 gigs of 1066 Ram. Your storage is going to be outside your OS anyway. So external drives will be key.

Is there any error message?
Do you have the most recent version of Pro Tools? 9.0.3 last i heard.

There's an error message on 9.0.3 which states that "you can't use pro tools with this version of macOS". Upon updating to 9.0.3 the installation crashed at the end.

EDIT: AVID now has a public beta of 9.0.5 that is compatible with Lion. It's a start in the right direction.

PT 9.0.5 is a beta release, which is compatible with OS X, Lion. Be aware that it is a public beta and there some issues with it. First thing to do is makes sure that; "Minimize Additional I/O Latency" is NOT selected in "Setup -> Playback Engine". This will create distortion on audio tracks. Second; sometimes when you press "play" (spacebar.. whatever) the playback will "pause" and then stop. Go into; "Setup -> Playback Engine" (I know, there's a theme here)... and change the hardware buffer setting from whatever it's setup to currently and then back to what it was before (if you like)... This will kick start the system into working again.

Back