Pro Tools 6, what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjv1993

Busking a Subway Near You
Hello, I just got a older used M box(original) and got pro tools 6.4 up and running. Now I am struggling with this:
“Audio processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks.
If this occurs often, reducing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback
Engine Dialog may help prevent the problem. (-9129)”

My laptop, Dell Latitude D620 destroys the recommended specs for PT6. I have 1.6 Ghz, 1 gb of ram. But when trying to record some simple acoustic ideas (1 click track, 1 record track and no plug-ins) I get this error message. I have disabled my wireless and regular internet connections after reading that helps. But it barely does.
Right now I have the H/W Buffer set to 1024 (lowest) and the DAE Buffer to Level 2 (default)

Am I doing something wrong or is my laptop underpowered, even though its above specs.

1024 is the highest setting, not the lowest. Try lowering to 512.

Also, you can look in your task manager to see what other tasks are running. Maybe there's some stuff running in the background that you can disable. For example, you are supposed to turn off the antivirus virus software when running pro tools.

Additionally, you might go back over the installation instructions and make sure you did all the little nit picky things, like disable clear type font, for example.

I tried lowering to 512 and even the lower one, but I get a different error saying that the OS has held off problems as long as it could, and to raise the buffer.
I also did have the task manager up to see what % of cpu was being used, and everytime I got the -9129 error the cpu was only at around 10% and the limit is set to using 99% so it doesnt make sence.
I did go through all the detailed instructions and even set the cpu to performance mode like the instructions said. I dont get it:confused:

I have had the same problem during bouncing with pro tools 6 when I had a very large session and had lots of plugins that I then removed and tracks that I deleted. I don't know for sure, but I think that the tracks and plugins removed are still kept in cache and loaded up every time. Also, running a lot of busses will do it. I just can't run many busses.

So, if you are having the same kind oif problem under similar circumstances, then I suggest you keep it simple. Maybe once you get your tracks sequenced, bounce them down to stems and import them into a new session where you can start doing some effects.

Also, I avoid using old sessions as templates for new sessions, because all those deleted effects might still be running in the background.

This is all a lot of guesswork on my part, but I asked at the DUC and no one could clear it up. Once I started using fresh sessions, doing hardware precompression on the way in instead of in the box, and running just a couple of busses for reverbs, it stopped happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back