Pro Audio 9 and MOTU MIDI Express XT

Sus4

Hi... I'm using a USB MOTU MIDI Express XT with Cakewalk Pro 9.0 and have been experiencing nasty problems ever since I bought the MOTU. The MOTU has both regular and WDM drivers. The regular drivers seem to work for a while under Cakewalk but while playing back MIDI and playing along on the keyboard the Cakewalk MIDI echoing eventually will disappear (the little indicator in the tray shows no activity even though I can see the MOTU is sending the MIDI notes via USB). If I instead go to the WDM drivers, it seems to run nicely for about 10 minutes of recording, playing, etc until cakewalk completely stops sending and receiving notes, or sometimes notes being recorded play back a good 10 seconds after the fact (I have local off on the keyboard and use auto echo mode in cakewalk). When closing Cakewalk after this occurs, the good old windows blue screen pops up with a bunch of vxd errors. Can anyone tell me why it is doing this or has anyone been able to use this setup? I have confirmed it does this on 2 totally different machines, both an Athlon and a separate PIII 500 and both machines are dedicated to music with no other USB drivers loaded and fresh installs of Win98SE. It is totally repeatable. The Sonar demo, however, seems rock solid and doesn't show any of these symptoms though I have no idea why. Does Sonar have a new MIDI implementation on the driver level? I was thinking of upgrading, but this isn't the first time I've had trouble with cakewalk and am seriously debating spending the extra money and getting Cubase instead... I need someone to tell me if this setup should work with Sonar or not (or whether it should work with Pro Audio 9, which I think it should). Thanks.

Back