PRO? 2004MackieTapco 6306 into soundcard:mic pre quality? Replace with USB interface?

stratmatt777

Hello, this is my first post.
I want to produce studio quality music (vocals and guitar).

I just bought an ASUS M51AD with Intel Core i7-4790 @3.20 Ghz
with 12 GB RAM. 64 bit operating system
and Windows 8.1 (which I can't stand, but I have unchecked the box so that it boots to desktop instead of the Win8 screen)!
It's the "Gamer" model at Best Buy and was on sale for $170 off.
I have an Axiom 61 controller.

I'm running SONAR X3 and have done almost nothing with it other than some guitar and vocal audio recordings and some experimentation with the synths.
I've got an Octavia MK-319 Condenser Mic I bought at Guitar Center in 2004 for $50 (they go for $350 now).

I've read all the posts on Mixers vs. USB interfaces and am still unsure if the mic pre's in my 2004 Mackie Tapco 6306 Mixer (and running into my computer's RealTek High Definition Audio soundcard) is going to be a lower sound quality than running a USB interface into my computer?
Is USB sound quality superior to Line-in Sound quality?

I found a write-up about my mixer which describes the preamps- Mackie Tapco 6306
" it is well-specified, with quiet mic preamps (-128dB EIN), adequately low distortion (less than 0.025 percent) and an extended frequency response flat within a decibel from 20Hz to 20kHz, and only 3dB down at 10Hz to 80kHz. The maximum rated output level is +18dBu with the main, aux and control room outputs operating at a nominal +4dBu."

Is this good enough for studio quality or should I buy PreSonus | AudioBox 22VSL
(It says "XMAX preamplifiers are built with three key elements:
High Voltage. The XMAX preamplifier runs on power rails of 30V. Most off-the-shelf, op-amp-based designs run on power rails of 10V to 18V. Higher-voltage power rails deliver more headroom, deeper lows, smoother highs, and a richer overall sound.
Discrete components—not op-amps. We only use genuine transistors, resistors, and capacitors. Op-amps add noise, coloration, and harshness to a signal. Our discrete design delivers ultra-low noise and transparency.
Class A. Class A circuits have no crossover distortion and deliver purer, clearer, and more musical results than the Class AB designs that are found in many preamps.

The net result of the XMAX preamp design is high headroom, low noise, wide dynamic range, extended frequency response, and—most important—musicality and transparency, with smooth highs, solid deep lows, and everything in between. "

So should I spend $176 to replace my Tapco mixer with this USB interface because it will increase the sound quality to studio level? Or am I already there?

Thank you so much for your assistance!
I want to make sure I have studio quality before I record an album I want to sell online.

Now, back to figuring out to get a good sound out of the synths in SONAR X3...

I'm just going to say that if you actually read all the posts on 'Mixers vs. USB interfaces' (or actually just a few of them here) you would already have your answer.

You need a interface. Keep reading man.

One big issue is with the D/A conversion that your computers built in sound card is not made for. The mixer itself is not able to send multiple channels to DAW for recording.

Scrap the mixer, figure out how many inputs you will wish to record at one time, then choose an interface that is appropriate for your needs.

You also need to define what 'Studio Quality' means to you. My studio has way more than 10,000 times your budget, yet I would not consider it pro level by any means.

It depends on the quality you desire for yourself.

Welcome to the forum stratmatt! :)

To add to Jimmy's post:

I am sure the mixer is adequate for a mixer, but going through a sound card will yield less than desired results. Nice little Audiobox will be better than the onboard sound card. Two channels, nice pre-amps, it will get you to a "better" sound. As Jimmy stated, Pro-Quality is an expensive undertaking, but the Presonus will get you very good results, but not pro. Just so you have reasonable expectations.

Happy hunting.

Thanks for the replies!
How much would I have to spend to get the appropriate quality for an album I would sell online?

Again, how many inputs at once do you plan to record? Are you thinking about miking live drums at some point? Stereo acoustic with vocals at the same time?

It is best to think of what you may need in the future. Genre of your music may be helpful also.

:)

Again, how many inputs at once do you plan to record? Are you thinking about miking live drums at some point? Stereo acoustic with vocals at the same time?

It is best to think of what you may need in the future. Genre of your music may be helpful also.

:)

Oops! :) 2 inputs is plenty. Even though my guitar playing and singing is excellent, I am still working on learning how to do both at the same time!
I will never be miking live drums or recording a full band. I will be creating the drums and bass in SONAR. I will be working on one track/instrument at a time.

The genre is electric guitar-based rock/blues/pop, with occasional acoustic guitar and some SONAR synths thrown in here and there.

(In the forum search I did I had seen one post where someone mentioned that soundcard line-ins were a problem... I bet that was you!) :)

Thanks again!

Back