Princeton speaker upgrade

_DK

Hi everyone,
I have a 70s Princeton Reverb, but I'd like to switch the original speaker (it's a 10") to an alnico as I prefer that sound... luckily I have a 12" 30 watt Weber. My question is - should I do it? If I understand correctly, the 12 watt amp isn't gonna drive the 30 watt speaker as good as it does the original. Should I even start looking for a 12" baffle, or is it better to get a 15 watt weber (10"? 12"?)
Any thoughts and comments are welcome :)

Yes, a lot of people change the stock 10" speaker to a 12". Make sure you preserve the original front baffle and keep the original speaker, in case you ever decide to sell it Even though it's a silverface, it will continue to go up in value, so keeping it in it's original configuration makes good sense. Have fun :)

I replaced my 10" stock speaker with a 12'" Celestion V30 what a HUGE improvement. I also replaced the 6V6 power tubes with 6L6's, it does not give you more power just more headroom before it starts to break up. Great recording and small gig amps you can't go wrong with a Princeton Reverb.

Back