Press Play

Viking

Thats about all I know how to do!
I am a guitarist in a local band in Tallahassee, Fl. and would like to record some of our songs. I have a Yamaha MT 120 cassette recorder, a Mackie 12 channel VLZ-Pro board, a Digitech 2101 studio pre-amp, shure SM-58 mics (2), lots of high-end amps and guitars, and various pedals. I'm still stuggling toget a decent sound. I cleaned and demagetized my heads (thanks to this site) and that helped, but it still sounds like I'm recording in a subway. I would apprecciate some input on this, also on miking the drums (Yes I read Dragons method, but can't get the bass sound right!), and on overall quality of the sound. I.e. getting the tracks to sound together instead of split. As this is my first post I would like to thank you all for your patience.

Yo Vulcan the Viking:

Before you sail off to Valhala, you need to bump into someone who has a home studio in your area and soak up some information. I am not familiar with your recording machine but if it is just tape/cassette, it must have at least 4 tracks.

I think that sending a signal directly to your recorder is a method for you to experiment with. Like you would need a mic preamp to route a signal into the recorder, say your bass, or guitar. Now LIVE drums are beyond my knowledge for successful recording because I use a drum machine most of the time. It never gets tired and is always ready to play and it doesn't drink beer and it doesn't complain and my 770 has stuff on it that will take me into 3000.

The other day a vocalist that records in my studio played a tape of a big band backing her at a live performance. The recording box was digital but she didn't know what kind. The band sounded pretty good; her vocal needed some help but it wasn't bad. So, with all of the digital boxes out there, you might start looking and listening. And, in the near future, all of the 16 and 24 bit machines will probably go beyond 32 bits. That's how the companies keep making money.

Don't give up. Just keep experimenting until you get the real good first time cut. Then, it's all uphill.

Happy New Year
Green Hornet

Thanks G-Hornet!
I have had the chance to learn alot from this site now, and I am putting it to good use. Found out why my sound sucked, too. My machine only is supposed to use Cr02 tapes, high bias. I was plugging in the sony 10 for $4.97 at Wal-Mart tapes! (duh-huh) So now I have cleaned and demagnetized and the sounds is 120% better. Still planning on going digital, as the funds are aquired.

Viking-soon to be novice recorder!___________

Back