Press photos

A GUY NAMED JON

I was wondering what kind of prices I should be expecting on press photos. I need to get some made. The disposable camera photos aren't the mustard.

Best thing I could tell you to do is 1 of two things:

The first (and probably best) would be to contact a professional photographer in your area. You can ask them what it costs for a sitting (x number of shots, x number of poses, x amount of time, and so forth). Each package offered is going to differ in price. Call around. Don't pick the first one unless you're absolutely sure they're the ones you want to go with.

The 2nd option is to find a local college or university with some type of photography classes. Talk to some of the students, and see if they'll do it for additional experience, or a project. Give them a few bucks for it.

There is a 3rd option. You could always use a digital camera and photo editing software. You'd need at least a 4 megapixel camera, high quality photo paper, and a good, high DPI printer. Then you could print your own. The problem with this is it could run you as much or more than the 1st two options.

mjr said:
There is a 3rd option. You could always use a digital camera and photo editing software. You'd need at least a 4 megapixel camera, high quality photo paper, and a good, high DPI printer. Then you could print your own. The problem with this is it could run you as much or more than the 1st two options.

Except that once you've made the initial investment you can repeat the session again and again until you have the photos you want. Paying a pro is a one-off expense for a one-off set of, albeit very good, photos.

Try taking some live photos with a digital camera, making sure flash is turned off so you capture the atmosphere and lights. We have got some good results doing this, though you'll rarely capture all members of the band on one pic (if ever) the results can look better than a staged photo of all band members stood somewhere looking moody and gazing in different directions, etc, you know what i mean.

Back