Presonus studio live vs. Mackie onyx 1640i !!

musicaldrops

I looking to buy one of these mixers, but I'm not sure which one to buy. Looking for some advice on which direction to go! Any advice?

You may have made your decision already but here goes.

I have the original mackie onyx. The two should be pretty much the same. The one difference is the firewire capabilities.

As far as sound goes, there shouldn't be too big a difference between the studiolive and the onyx. Though, personally, I preferred the onyx. It is a fully analog board with a separate digital component. The studiolive is fully digital.

So, if you're looking for a board with everything built in. FX and compression. The studiolives fat channel might be for you.

Personally, I like having knobs for outboard things like EQ and compression as opposed to a digital readout. Also, I had heard bad things about the presonus converters on another board.

I've had good results with the onyx but I barely use it now for recording because I have built up a bunch of outboard pre's. I still, however, use it live and its a tank. I've never done sound for a gig where the onyx was not enough. Its usually too much.

Back