Presonus Inspire or Firebox?

SKYflyer

I'm debating which interface to purchase. Both can record 4 instruments simultaneously. This would be good for recording my band's jamming. I would plan to run all the drum mics through a mixer, and put the mixer through one of the two insturment cable inputs. The other instrument cable input would be for recording the bass guitar. Then keyboards could go through one of the mic inputs with a DI box, and the SM57 recording the guitar could also go in the other mic input.

Since both the Inspire and Firebox have the same 4 inputs that can be used simultaneously (and the MIDI and SPDIF inputs on the Firebox will be of no use to me), which one should I get? I heard the Inspire has an analog limiter on it which the Firebox does not, but I don't really know what a limiter does or if it will be very useful to me. Do both the Firebox and Inspire produce the same quality recordings? The thought of having to use completely software based controls on the Inspire does not really concern me, I wouldn't mind. So which one should I get? Judging by what I have already said, the Inspire, being cheaper, seems a better choice, although I would not be averse to spending a little more for the Firebox if it were a better choice.

The recording quality would be comparable between both units.

If you don't need midi or spdif, the Inspire would satisfy your requirements.

I'd consider midi a requirement though - if not now, once you start recording sooner or later you'll find a use for it

I think i'll get the Firebox... any suggestions on where to buy it? some places have a deal for a free pair of headphones when you buy a Firebox...

Back