Presonus Firestation

musikman316

Anyone have a Firestation, I don't live close enough to a dealer to go and just check one out without actually buying it, so if anyone can help me out, thanks a lot.

Oh and I am going to Dallas tonight, so I may go to Guitar Center, but it's a business trip so I most likely won't have the time.

I just wanted to kick this back up because i've been wanting to check this out too.

I'm thinking I can use it as my analog and digital I/O's for my laptop and as a standalone analog to digital convertor with my VS1680.

Just wondering how good the pre could be.

unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too much out there yet on the firestation....no reviews, etc.

I'm interested as well in checkin one out..

regarding the preamps - the specs (noise floor, frequency response, etc.) compare favorably to those of the Presonus MP20, which I believe is generally regarded as a pretty good preamp

as they say, though - the proof is in the pudding - so I'll be interested to hear what someone who has actually USED the unit has to say

anyone??

I like mine ALOT .. having said that I don't have much else to compare it to really... They are a bit of a pain to setup ( not that bad if you read the manual : heaven forbid :) ) I keep reading these stories of people having problems with them but mine is rock solid have been successful with recording 5 tracks simultanous ( havent needed all 8 at once yet) I have to say over all im pretty happy with the results I get. Only complaint sofar is that when you activate the tube in the preamps it adds a bit of floornoise ( to be expected though) i can't qualify if the pres are very good or the ad/da is great It sounds good to my ears and everyone that has heard any of the tests i recorded with it seem to agree. bear in mind it only has 2 preamps so you will need a mixer mor than likely (depending on what your doing I guess)

No opinions of my own, just forwarding somebody elses opinion:

A Swedish magazine reviewed them this month, and at the end the reviewer was split up about it. That is probably the absolute worse statement about any gear I have seen in that magazine. Reading between the lines he sais: "It's a good idea, too bad it doesn't work". This seems mostly to be because it's a pain to configure.

its really not that hard to configure: took me all of about 15 mins but it is an involved process. If you follow the steps on their site or in the book you should have no problems. the other thing is this if you are running XP (only drivers available at this time for a pc) you NEED to have XP running for background applications this is a MUST (beside that its a good idea anyway seeing how any ASIO driver needs that)
my systems specs are as follows:
athlon tbird 1.13
Iwill kk266 mobo
768 mg pc 133
western digital 10g for OS
westerndigital 45 gig for apps and audio (and yes it is only a 5400 but i havent had any problems yet)
presonus firestation
running cubase 5,sx and logic 5 all are stable
(not at the same time though
:rolleyes:

Back