Presonus Firebox vs INSPIRE

Syko

It seems Presonus just released a new firewire interface called Inspire ( http://www.presonus.com/inspire1394.html ). I was wondering if anyone's played with it or if you know how it compares to the Firebox.

I'm looking for a recording interface to start out on (I have nothing so far -- no interface, no mics, no experience...) recording to my PC/Mac, and I was going to go with the Firebox. But the Inspire is $100 cheaper...and I'm wondering if it's just because it's fewer inputs or if it's generally lesser quality. Which one should I go for?

As a Firebox owner I can say that if there was a Tsunami here tomorrow or a Katrina-style hurricane/flood that wiped out my gear it's the second thing ---after a new computer --- that I would buy again.

You'd be quite foolish not to spend the extra $100 on the Firebox - it's better built, has 6 inputs and 8 outputs and midi in and out. Even if you don't know much about it now, having to ditch the Inspire for a midi-capable interface somewhere down the road will cost much more than $100.

Inspire bass trouble

Hi,

I just started using an Inspire (Newbie) to record my Blues trio (mic'd voice, acoustic guit w/pup, and electric bass). My rig - vox, guit into Yamaha powered mixer, then rec. out to ch. 3,4 (RCA, unbalanced) of the Inspire. Bass straight into the inspire ch 1. Garageband on Mac G3 Pismo PB upgraded to G4 and fast HD.
Everything sounds clean and clear except the bass which clips (overdrives?) on the bottom string even at very low in levels.

Does the Inspire lack headroom in that area?
Would switching to Firebox make a difference?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Bill

Back