Presonus Eris 4.5 vs Maudio Studiophile AV40 monitor speakers

Masten

Hi,

Looking for some first-time monitor speakers as an upgrade to my pc speakers I've been using. Budget £120 max.

2 options I can see:

Presonus Eris 4.5 (£120)
Maudio Studiophile AV40 (£100)

I''m looking to go for the Presonus as all the reviews I've read are good and say that they are a great starter monitor speaker and do offer at least a taste of proper monitor speakers, whereas the Maudios are OK for the money, but really very much still in the 'good home speaker' category.

Need them just for creating a demo of me playing acoustic and singing my songs. Possible later add some backing synths and other vocalists.

If anyone has any experience with either I'd be interested to hear it.

Thanks

Masten

If your budget is absolutely topped off then go with the Presonus, but if there's any way to do it, save up just a little more money and get some monitors with at least 5" speakers - what you get is more low end and more definition overall. The Presonus specs are down to 70Hz, the M Audio 83Hz. The JBL LSR305 spec is 53 Hz - I picked up a pair of these on sale (GC matched online Musicians Friend) for $225. (178 Euro)

Hi Mike

Thanks for that. Yeah looked at the JBL's. They're nearly double the price of the Presonus over here which is too much really at this stage. Also, as it's my first set of monitors so I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between the Presonus and the JBL's so gonna go with the Presonus I think.

Cheers

Masten

YOu may not be able to tell the difference, but others might - the difference is you cna't hear the low end at all with smaller speakers - the bass and kick drum frequencies are down there so all you will hear are the harmonics of those. I used basically the same as MA AV30s before - and those are the comments I got from the last mastering engineer - the low end was very messed up in my mixes.
Of course acoustic treatment of your listening room is needed to get the best out of ANY monitors.

Back