Presonus = Customer Service Gods

just thought i'd put this story out there, because we all sure as hell complain when its the other way around.

i purchased a firepod with a one year manufacturer's warranty - standard.

after about a year and three months, i lost ALL firewire connectivity. Period. I emailed their rep asking what it would cost for the repairs since my warranty was up. His response was "don't worry about it, just ship it back to us and i'll write it up as a warranty repair"

i thought "wow, cool"

so, it came back ... and it worked .. for like a week. Then it started acting all goofy and wihtin a few months just stopped working altogether again. I figured that there was NO chance that they would repair it again, so i didn't even bother asking. Then ... a few months later, after a horribly rigged-together session with my delta 1010, i was completely bummed about my worthless firepod, and just emailed the guy to tell him how much i LOVED their preamps ... but wished the damn thing had worked for me more often than not. I didn't ask for anything - i just politely griped and told him i would be unable to recommend their products to anyone.

his response surprised me.

He replied - immediatly - saying that they would replace the unit outright - even though i was nearly a year past their manufacturer warranty. They even paid for the shipping both ways - gave me an RA number and their expedited UPS and FedEx codes so it didn't cost me a dime. He said "usually we don't have problems like this - but every once in a great while there is just a problem with the main board - we'll take care of you"

i thought that was pretty damn nifty.
now i have a new firepod - well, they replaced everything in it and sent it back in my old chassis so that he could just write it up as a warranty repair again. But now its working like new ... because it essentially is.

i've never had a company treat me so well. thought i'd pass that on.

That is cool to hear!
Like you said, we always hear the bad, it is nice to hear the good.

Some other places I have had equally good service:
M-Audio (fixed my 1010s long past warranty for the price of shipping)

FMR Audio (fixed a problem for free I had with my RNP 3 years after I bought it)

CAD Mics ( offered instant help on line to trouble shoot an older E-100, with an offer for a very low cost upgrade to a new mic if I could not fix it myself)

Good to hear they're improving things. My experience with them about a year ago was... well... five weeks without the thing. I asked them if they had to wait for a new shipment from China. :D

Oh... Good experiences? MOTU. After an ADAT jack broke shortly after I got the unit, we played phone tag for a couple of days (I probably should have called first instead of emailing), but once we actually got in touch, they took my credit card info and shipped a replacement out by UPS overnight. When I got the replacement, I swapped in the new unit, stuck the old one in the prepaid return box, and gave it to UPS. Since the unit was basically working except for the jack, I had basically no downtime. Couldn't recommend them more highly.

I've also had good experiences with Presonus and MOTU. I've also had good experiences with some boutique audio manufacturers like Manley, Empirical Labs, DAV Electronics, and Grace. Another good customer support company is Aphex.

Back