presonus bluetube or meek vcq-3

robert jaybird

Hi,

I'm looking for a somewhat cheap preamp to use with my daw.The 2 products that i can afford currently are the meek vcq-3 and presonus bluetube.

I know these 2 units are a bit apples and oranges.I guess that wich is "better" is a matter of taste.And I'm also aware that both units will bring coloration.

Yet, I'm curious if anybody has used either unit and could make a comment on how theyve felt about their purchase.

I'm wondering if the presonus tube thing is a gimmick, and if its noisy. I heard an a/b with a mackie vlz and i can at least say its warmer then that....

I'm also wondering if the meek will warm things up going into my soundcard, and if it's a good all around unit.

Thanks for thaking the time to read this,
rob

I was sceptical of the Bluetube because of the low price but I love it. You don't need to turn the drive knob much to drive the tube and I don't find it noisy. Compared to the Mackie vlz's preamps I find that it gives you a much fuller, robust sound. I have no regrets buying it at all.

I have never used the Joe Meek VC3Q but it seems to make sense having preamp, compresser, and EQ in one unit.

It's a bitch deciding what to buy sometimes. There are just too many toys to consider.

rob...

I also own a Bluetube and love it! It's nice and warm for vocals with the drive set low and can be used for other purposes with higher drive settings. I guess you could crank up the drive for vocals if you want a bit of grind in the tone but I prefer them clean. I also found it very quiet and a good deal for $160.

zip

Back