Presonus Audiobox USB...

wmalan

So... not to be a rant - but education for other newbies who are looking for "bang for the buck". You may find the Presonus floating around used. Avoid it.

Like many, I picked up a Presonus Audiobox USB interface a few years back for around $150 new. Only used it with my SM57 mic, and the xlr output of my Tech21 amp. Works great for that for a couple years. Then I decided to just go direct with my guitar. Find out the units output is too hot of a signal for my DAW (known issue now). So I purchase a direct box that I can pad the signal. Just added another $35 to the cost. So that works now. Finally I just upgrade to an AT2035 condenser mic (very awesome mic for the price btw). Plug it in - hit the 48v switch... high pitch hum starts. Go on the Presonus forum and see others with the same hum issues. The best solution was to buy a separate 48v power source. So I've ordered one. Now another $35 for the unit and a short xlr cable.

The moral of the story: Had I used the direct guitar and condenser mic at the time of the purchase and found the issues then, I could have returned it. Instead, I had to add a bit more to the cost after a fair amount of time researching each problem. Just something to consider when looking at recording gear new or used.

I agree. I just replaced mine with a Scarlett and there is no comparison. I listen to my old recordings compared to my new ones they sound like shit. Pre was too hot to get within 3 feet of my condenser without clipping

I waited to reply, wanted to see if anyone else had something to offer...

My experience with this interface has been positive overall. It's a little annoying that the two inputs are assigned Left/Right, and there's no pan control (I have to manually create stereo tracks from the mono, then I can proceed with effects, etc). I was so annoyed I ended up reconnecting my mixer just to have the control again.

Otherwise I have no issues with phantom power or line noise. Frankly, I think you may have some settings adjusted wrong if the 'signal is too hot' as there's several layers and combinations using the controls on the front of the interface. I can't see how this situation can occur with the granuality they provide.

I paid $150 for mine recently [new], so the price on this unit seems set in stone. :p

I waited to reply, wanted to see if anyone else had something to offer...

My experience with this interface has been positive overall. It's a little annoying that the two inputs are assigned Left/Right, and there's no pan control (I have to manually create stereo tracks from the mono, then I can proceed with effects, etc). I was so annoyed I ended up reconnecting my mixer just to have the control again.

Otherwise I have no issues with phantom power or line noise. Frankly, I think you may have some settings adjusted wrong if the 'signal is too hot' as there's several layers and combinations using the controls on the front of the interface. I can't see how this situation can occur with the granuality they provide.

I paid $150 for mine recently [new], so the price on this unit seems set in stone. :p

I used a mixer in front of mine as well, with that, I had no issues. Plus, you can set the gain in the front. I switched mine due to performance issues. I the the new VSL is an improvement. Other than that, I have no issues with the unit.

The later models appear to be better. It was a particular production run as those who found these issues during warranty were replaced with quiet phantom power. The hot direct output... Not sure. But if it works for you, great! :)

I used a mixer in front of mine as well, with that, I had no issues. Plus, you can set the gain in the front. I switched mine due to performance issues. I the the new VSL is an improvement. Other than that, I have no issues with the unit.

I only recently connected the mixer, prior to that I had no problems with the inputs. Like wmalan suggests, it could be a bad batch or production run that needed some fine tuning. I think I've had mine for 6 weeks, so it's a new model.

Back