presonus ACP88

MCreel

Anybody here used one?

I'm totally intrigued by having 8 channels in one rack.

Thinking about buying a used one because its a good price and would eliminate me having to buy 4 different rack units to get the same amount of compression.

any thoughts on these units?

Thanks.

Matt

Well, they are nothing special except that they are affordable with a high count in small real estate. I would never use them in the studio, but I like having them in my live racks for openers. I actually like them OK on drums and bass in a live setting. I would never requewst one though on any of my riders.

Yeah, good for live, not great for studio.

Unless you absolutely have to have 8 compressors and your budget is severely constrained.... it will work, they work fine, but not the best for pro studio sound.

ditto to all the above replies, but beware of used ones, make shure they are recent models, earlier ones had some build issues, I had many of them go bad. + in the studio, they use a cheap fan inside that the bearings wear out and become too noisy to keep running while tracking anywhere near them

Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to be using it for live recording so noise won't be much of a problem. If I can get it for around $150 then I will probably do it, but if not then I'll just have to buy 3 or 4 behringers or dbx units.

If you can get one for $150, than I would be all over it. Sooner or later it will have a use, and I think they are certainly worth $20 a channel as compressors:)

MCreel said:
Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to be using it for live recording so noise won't be much of a problem. If I can get it for around $150 then I will probably do it, but if not then I'll just have to buy 3 or 4 behringers or dbx units.

I dont care how cheap the Behringers are, the $99 dollar 3630 is the cheapest compressor I would ever touch for any reason.....

but I'd rather have some RNC's....... they sound a lot better than the dbx units, imo....

I would actually prefer a Behringer compressor over a 3630. The presonus ACP-88 I like even a little better on certain things. I also do not think that an RNC sounds any better than the DBX units. What it does do for me is not sound, where as the DBX imparts a characteristic. Two different beast that both certainly have their places.

If you can get an 8 channel Presonuis ACP88 for $150, I would be all over that. If you decide you do not want it, let me know and I will buy three of them for that price:D

While not an expert on compressors by any means, if the ACP88 is in good shape, it's definitely worth it, especially for live use. Portable, plenty of channels, and decent for the price. I can't recall where I read it, but some pro in a magazine article said that a lot of compression channels is a good thing, even if they are budget ones. Don't know for sure about that, but that is quite a discount from the original price, and if nothing is wrong with it, I'd shure give it a chance. If it doesn't work for your situation, you can most likely recover your investment, possibly even make a little profit.

Small correction.....

This is for an ACP-8. The predecessor to the ACP-88. Still seems like a pretty good buy though. I'll let you know in another few hours. I've decided I'm willing to spend up to $200 on it.

Back