Preparing For A Recording Session

sowpunk

Hey guys!

Say you've got a recording session with a band. Yours or someone else's.

How long before the recording session do you find yourself starting to prepare?

And also, what do you do to prepare yourself, the studio and the band you're recording for the whole process?

This is just a pretty general question directed at everyone out there :)

Also if you could be bothered, what do you usually setup first and in what order do you do the rest?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I usually find myself setting up the weekend before by doing a gear check and dropping by the band I am recording to make sure their stuff is tight. Then I'll get them to fill in what songs they want to record and inform them of the process if they are new to it. I'll go home that afternoon and make up a template in cubase for the setup of that band and name all the tracks etc.

Then the afternoon before we start (usually Friday) I get the mixing desk ready, set the software up (Track 1 = Channel 1 etc) and setup the amps/drums (if the band wants to use my kit) and set the mics up and get a decent sound.

When the band comes over I'll do the fine tuning etc. I've got 2 guys who are great musicians helping me out aswell so that's always handy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, fill me in on the process you guys take towards recording :)

About two hours before the band arrives. I'll clean the studio and make sure the trash cans are empty. That's about it. If they're on their way, then we've already talked about how many pieces in the band and how many tunes they can expect to get through in the time they've contracted for. Without fail, all conversations I've had with the band go right out the window after they arrive which is OK as whatever they want to do is fine by me as long as they pay (cash).Rarely has a band not argued about what they're going to play, exceding the number of tunes they said they were going to record, showing up with ALL their gear or showing up with no gear at all, etc. I use track sheets to keep notes of what I'm doing and after they go home is when I transfer everything into the box for tweaking.

sowpunk said:
Hey guys!And also, what do you do to prepare yourself, the studio and the band you're recording for the whole process?
First and foremost - for bands that are not "consummate professionals" and are not spending thousands of dollars scheduling weeks of studio time with the intent of building an album in the studio - the band had better be prepared to record well BEFORE they ever schedule a recording date. In other words, something like "we have a session in two weeks, we've got to practice, practice, practice" is, IMHO, doing things in the wrong order. I'd much rather recommend that they practice, practice, practice until they can get a perfect take in their sleep, and THEN schedule a recording date in two weeks.

The band should have the mindset that the studio is a live performance at the White House. By that I mean they should pretend that when they walk into the studio they are walking onto stage for the performance of their lives, and they only have one chance to get it right with no mistakes. That means having all gear properly and freshly strung, tightened, tuned, etc., with plenty of backup strings, sticks, batteries, etc.; ready for any contrivance, and ready to get everything on the first take. This doesn't mean in reality that they *have* to make it on one take only, but it does definitely mean they will be performing to their best potential, which will make for a better sounding recording and will keep the studio bill to a minimum.

On my side, I need to do the same with all my gear. Make sure it is all clean and operating properly, making sure I have plenty of tape, batteries, disk space, etc. Make sure all my hard drives are are scanned, cleaned and defragged, that my main trim pots and sliders are contact noise free, that any active DIs or dual-power condensors to be used have fresh batteries, etc. Make sure the frigde is stocked wioth non-alchoholic beverages and relatively crumb-free snacks, and that the place is clean and presentable enough for in-laws. (Don't forget the soap and toilet paper in the john.) When possible I'd like to have this all ready the night before to there is plenty of time to fix problems or to, in case of emergency, reschedule. Though I admit that there is often a lot of stuff that doesn't get done as soon as I'd like :o .

As far as prepping for the client themself, when possible I'd like to know their stuff to at least some degree before they walk in. If I know them and their music, then that's easy. If they are relative strangers, this means when possible getting a demo disc from them and (especially) seeing them live ahead of time. Two reasons:

First, being familiar with the band composition and their music and playing style helps me pre-stage the recording somewhat. Knowing the equipment and music style helps in pre-selecting microphones, physical setup (instrument placement, gobo usage, etc.), mixer configuration, etc. - all of which I'd also like to have ready to at least some degree before they arrive.

Second, seeing them live can give a pretty good first impression as to the personalities involved and as to which members will require which kind of handling and maintenance in the studio. Is this guy a real laid back pro but that guy a fidgiter? Is that guy a musician first and only but this guy a wannabe producer? Etc. ;)

G.

You mean like putting on deodorant and stuff?

Usually.

If there's moderately attractive women coming by, I might even rinse the mouth out with some minty wash, salt the balls, and make sure there's toilet paper in the bathrooms.

Usually no less than 15 minutes before the session -- want to give yourself some extra time, just in case the musicians decide to be punctual.

This is purely for me, I like to listen to a band, preferably in both a practice session and a live gig if possible before I record them. That way I have a better idea of what sort of sound they hope to get on the recording. Attending a practice session also gives me the chance to take a few notes, approximate times, special efx, tricky timing and so forth. It also seems to help everyone relax a little since we all already know one another. First timers (even in my humble studio) are usualy a little nervous, there must be something intimidating about that "recording" light comming on.

I like to make a deal where they pay for an hour of preset time before they walk in the door.

During that time I get a bunch of the mics I likely will be using set up in the appropriate room, turn on the tube gear to warm up, set up the patch bay, boot the computer and software, set-up a software session template, plug in headphones into headphone preamps, and make sure everything is passing signal.

That way when the musicians walk in, it's much closer to a plug in and play situation, which they really appreciate. Nothing saps energy more than hanging around for hours while the engineer is running cables and plugging everything in.

For the same reason, I like the drummer to arrive an hour before everyone else. That lets me get most of the kit mic'ed and sounding good without everyone hanging around staring at the clock.

Awesome replies guys :)

First and foremost - for bands that are not "consummate professionals" and are not spending thousands of dollars scheduling weeks of studio time with the intent of building an album in the studio - the band had better be prepared to record well BEFORE they ever schedule a recording date. In other words, something like "we have a session in two weeks, we've got to practice, practice, practice" is, IMHO, doing things in the wrong order. I'd much rather recommend that they practice, practice, practice until they can get a perfect take in their sleep, and THEN schedule a recording date in two weeks.

Yeah that's a given lol :p. I was talking more in terms of sending them a sheet of rules of what they can and can't do whilst at your studio.

Keep them coming :)

Here are a few tips from my website:

Making a Better Record

The more everyone understands what is expected in the studio, the better the tape will turn out. Be aware that some musicians get uptight before a session - it can be a very stressful time. Just remember it's a demo - a snapshot in time of where you are right now. Studios are pretty cold places. Because we're on the other side of a glass wall, it can sometimes feel like we're sitting in judgment of your music - we aren't. The glass prevents control room sounds from leaking into the studio mikes. We have our own problems to take care of. If we hear a mistake, we'll let you know, but we aren't sitting there waiting for you to make mistakes - we make enough mistakes of our own. We're here to help you get great sound - not to judge your music or your playing.

Tip# 1
Rehearse only the songs that you'll be recording for at least 2 days before the session. For clean starts, use an 8 beat count-off instead of a 4 beat count-off, with the last two beats silent. (Example: 1 2 3 4, 1 2 - - )

Tip# 2
Practice the songs straight through, including intros, endings, and dynamics. Work out all your solos before you get to the studio.

Tip# 3
If needed, put on new strings and drum heads at least 2 days before the session. Bring extra batteries, strings, and cables, just in case.

Tip# 4
Get a good night's sleep and make sure everyone is in a good mood before the session. Don't party. A word about drugs and drinking; Some people play better when they're smashed, some don't. Check with the rest of the group to see which category you fit into. Bring friends if you feel more comfortable playing to an audience.

Tip# 5
Start the songs cleanly and wait till the tape is rolling before turning up your volume (unless we've gated your instrument). Don't talk, play, or move for a count of eight after you finish a take. Wait for the last notes to die away completely. Use your volume knob to fade out at the end of a song.

Tip# 6
Don't jam or play between takes or songs. Either tune up or sit quietly. Goofing off just wastes everybody's time.

Tip# 7
You may have to change your normal amp settings to get a better sound on tape. Sometimes your stage settings don't work in the studio and we may have to experiment to get your sound back - even to the point of switching amps or going directly into the board, or through the SansAmp.

Tip# 8
If you screw up, don't panic, but point it out. Most of the time, we can punch it in later. If one song isn't happening, forget that song and move on to another song, or we'll take a short break. Don't bother with "I'm sorry" or "I'll get it this time." You're just putting more pressure on yourself. Screwups happen. Just relax and try it again. Recording is very stressful - don't make it any harder on yourself. If you feel yourself getting tense about a song, take a break. A break after every couple of songs can help a lot. Be open to suggestions and changes. "Screw-ups" sometimes turn out great. Maybe you didn't hit the note you wanted, but the note you hit may be better.

Tip# 9
After the final session, everybody usually wants a rough mix. Go ahead and enjoy it that night and the next day, then put it away. Get away from the music for a while, or you won't be able to hear clearly when you mix. Everybody should take a 2 or 3 day break (or longer) before the mixdown session to rest their ears. Listen to groups you like, and try to get a feel for their sound and their mixes.

Tip# 10
Before the mixdown session, play the rough cassette (with or without the band there) and make notes on every song. Is it similar in sound to groups you like? Try to pinpoint the differences. Need more bottom on the kick? Less reverb on the vocal? Vocals too loud or soft? More edge on the bass? Move the lead guitar more to the left or right? Before you start the mixdown, we'll go over your notes and try to get the sound you want.

Tip# 11
When you're mixing down, you want a finished product that's as good as any pre-recorded material. Listen to the whole song, not just your part.

That's about it. Above all, have fun. Remember, your attitude will come across on the finished product.

A Typical Recording Session

Recording Times
A 5 song demo requires about 34 hours (2 or 3 days to record the basic tracks, vocals, harmonies, and solos, plus one or two days to mixdown and master). A good rule of thumb is: 1 minute of recorded music = 1½ hours of studio time. Here's a "typical" recording project breakdown:

The Day Before The Session
We'll have your drummer come in to set up, tune, and get the drum sound the day before the session. When the drummer leaves, the board, mics, and drum kit are set and ready for the session the next day. Since drums tuned for stage use are different from studio drums, we suggest you use one of our drum sets, since it's fine-tuned to the room and we can get an awesome drum sound with them. We have nine different snares to choose from.

Bring your own cymbals, snare, kick drum pedal, and drum seat if you like. Of course, you're free to use your own drum set, but figure on a lot more setup time.

Day 1 - Basic Rhythm Tracks
The bass can go direct to the board, or to our Ampeg SVT-II preamp, or your bass player's rig. We'll usually mike the guitar amps and we have an assortment of classic tube heads and cabinets, all of which have an incredible range of great guitar sounds, avalible at no extra charge.

Song 1 usually takes about 3 to 4 hours to record (including guitar amp setup, placing microphones, eliminating hums, hiss, and buzzes, setting headphone levels, getting everybody warmed up, etc.).

The rest of the songs take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or so per song, depending on the number of takes or effects needed. (One song will take a lot longer than the other songs - I don't know why - it just works out that way.) Figure about 6 to 8 hours for the basic session. It's a very long day but we'll take a lot of breaks. All you're going for on Day 1 is a good drums/bass/rhythm groove with a scratch vocal. The singer shouldn't push on any of the vocals today.

Day 2 - Solos, Overdubs, and Vocals
You'll add solos, and possibly redo some tracks because you came up with something better. That takes about 5 hours. You did rough vocals during the basic session to help with timing. Now, you'll do the finished vocals & harmonies if you didn't blow your voice during Day 1. Figure on about 2 to 5 hours for vocals.

Day 3 - Mixdown Session (Several Days Later)
Final mixdowns take about 4 hours for the first song and about an hour each for the rest of the songs. You'll listen on different speaker systems (we can even broadcast directly to your car radio, using our FM stereo transmitter) and we'll adjust the sound to get the best compromise for the final mix. Figure about 8 hours for mixdowns, or longer. Add another 4 hours for mastering. A "typical" five song recording project runs something like this:

Session Hours
Drum Setup.............2
Basic Tracks..........10
Solos & Overdubs ....5
Vocals & Harmonies..3
Mixdown.................8
Mastering...............4

Total....................38

Quality
What kind of quality can you expect for your money? Expect a finished CD that's as good as any pre-recorded product and meets FM Broadcast standards. The current trend in mastering for CDs compresses everything and boosts the overall level of the final mix. This is a trade-off that sacrifices some of the dynamic range for a punchy final product that's "in your face". We include mastering at no additional charge.

We prefer using less compression and having more more dynamic range in the mastering stage, but the final choice is yours.

Very cool Harvey. I agree with most of your time frames on the session. In my experience though, I can spend up to 4 to 6 hours editing a single tune on top of everything else.

Back