Preparations for 101

Treskalle

Hey!

First of all I could introduce myself. My name is Steff (and I'm an alcoholic... Just kidding). I'm a guy from Norway. Playing bass and sing in one band, also working on a solo project as well. I also work as a radio technician in the world oldest feminist radio! Me and my friend having a studio project too. Studied media and communication (with sound as specialization) for a year. To the fall I'm going to study electronic.

Enough about me, over to the thread;

I've been working with Cubase and Audiocity(?) for a couple of years ago, did not have the greatest experience with them, they where wierd and complex. About a year ago I started studying Media and communication (wich includes sound, here in Norway). They had Pro Tools, and I specialized in sound. Pro Tools LE was what they had to offer. Fair enough;) Back then I was a newb. But after working several hours almost everyday in PTLe, I think i start to understand the basics. I also have a couple of weeks on 003 Factory as a control surface.

[optional]
In our studio, we using a Mbox 2 and a Allen And Heath Zed 24 mixer. We sending as a stereou output on drums, and when we record vocals or other instrument we mic the cabinets up and the mic directly into the Mbox as mono. That's work fine. Just have to do the EQ on the A&H before we record.
[optional]

[Important]
I'm really into PT, it's magic, it's for a beginner as well for a pro, it's got everything. Except for the nice price. But it's worth it. I thinking of take the 101 course and exam. So far I understand the course is over a weekend and the exam in the end of the course, right? And the other thing, if that's true. Is it a good idea to get the 101 course book before the course and start preparations as soon as possible? Thinkin' of taking the 101 the the fall. My dream is (probably as alot of more) getting a operator or expert status. And working fulltime in a production studio.

What's your thoughts and opinions about everything written over?
[important]

Thanks for answer(s) :)

hi there! and welcome!!

first off, can i say, i'm not gona crap all over the PT exams in general.

i've no idea if the proper high level ones are useful in real life or not but what i can tell you is..

if you plan to do the 101 just to heighten your familiarity with / knowledge of pro tools, personally i'd say there's no point.

i'll admit, there are a few numbers and facts, and things that are valuable in that book, but unless you plan to ride the PT education train all the way to the station,,i'd say waste of money.

The only reason i did it was to get onto a college course, and even then it wasn't essential.....i just missed the deadline and wanted to prove that i was serious for the next year.

anyhow,,if you do plan to do it.READ THE BOOK. lol..

there are all these 'stupid' questions like what are the three different ways that you can access the edit window, and you're like,,,'IDK,,,i just do it'

i found it a bit like 'how high do you have the clutch at 15mph on a roundabout???'

anyway,,hope that helps :D...good luck!

Thank for answer!

I think I read somewhere that if you have higher course certificates Digidesign would give you discounts and etc. And the paper could be good to have at some later point. But the plan is to ride to the top, and fill in the holes I've missed so far. I've also read multiple places that if you take a course you'll get some free plug-ins as well.

Great answer. It was really a relief that it isn't to hard?

If other things are working out for you to take the 101 course, take it. I find, over and over again, that we almost always either learn something new in a course on a subject we may already be "expert" on, or skills we may have gotten rusty or sloppy on are improved. Often, it is both.

Last week, I attended a harmonica workshop. I happened to know the guy conducting the class. I got there in time for the advanced class I intended to attend, but also before the "beginner" class was over. Turns out, I had no idea how to bend notes on a harmonica- what I was doing was wrong and ineffective. Now, I know how to do it (much harder than you might think, btw.)

Wish I had attended the first class. Now, I gotta pay for lessons, to learn something I could have learned for free.

Take the 101 class.

"A professional does not need to be told, but he always appreciates being reminded."

-Zig Ziglar

"A professional does not need to be told, but he always appreciates being reminded."

that's nice :) i like that!

yeh,so, if your plan is to work up the ranks, then yeah..just do it, but read the book first and if there's any statistic or numbers that look like potential questions,,,,,learn them!!

the 101 covers the basics about bit depth, sample rates, and wav file size depending on them etc..so there's an example....just learn it :D

As has been said you just need to read the book really and follow the examples it gives you. Read the book through in front of a rig, that way you can try out everything for yourself.

It's pretty much impossible to fail the Pro Tools 101 - you have to either not care, or have not read the book.

I am qualified at 210M level, and will be 210P in the not too distant future. They are a good way to learn fast, but never will they be a substitute for genuine experience.

Finally, don't expect to be able to get qualified up to 310 level. Very few people get the opportunity to take the courses, and your centre needs to have the correct equipment which few do. So don't be disappointed if you find that you aren't able to take the course ;)

Back