Preferences on Power Conditioner?? Lets hear the input

signoiz88

So I'm looking to invest in a power conditioner for my home studio.
Between some Furmans, and some Monsters I'm looking at, I dont want to spend more than $150, cause I ave plenty of other things to buy.
So I've narrowed it down to these:

Monter PRO2500
Monter PRO3500
Furman Pl-Plus C
Furman Pl-8

or maybe some of the cheaper Furman merit series (if they're any good).
or even a livewire pl 1100.

I like the fact that the Monster3500 can power up/down your gear in the right sequence. based on low voltage, high, and digital equipment. But that tops out my budget.
If someone has some experience with others, I'd like to hear it. I don't really want a sacrificial system that will absorb a surge, but fry itself in the process.
I feel like there could easily be a huge propaganda on power conditioners, and whether they can actually make noticeable improvements in noise filtering, things like that.

Anyways, fellow project studio owners, I'd like to hear what you'd have to say.
Cheers.

Power conditioners are no more than a glorified fused power strip, that can be had at any hardware store for about $10.

Now when you get into power regulators that cost $600. and up that is where there is a difference.

I have a Monster 3500 and 7000 (among other Monstrous things). Happy with both of them. The 3500 is a bargain.

Keeping in mind that I'm not a big fan of the Monster corp... But they do make some really decent stuff.

I have a Monster 3500 and 7000 (among other Monstrous things). Happy with both of them. The 3500 is a bargain.

Keeping in mind that I'm not a big fan of the Monster corp... But they do make some really decent stuff.

Yeah, same here. Not really a fan of them either. But I hope I'm not leaning for it just because of the look. (cause it does look amazing). How do you like it?
I have connections to them for great pricing, but on their website, the reviews for their PC's were less than exemplary. How do you like yours? No troublesome noise or hums?
reliable?

Both of mine are working spectacularly. The only "complaint" (if you can really call it that) is the voltage calibrations are different from one to the other -- That said, the 3500 is 6 years old and the 7000 is maybe 6 months old. The 7000 matches with my Fluke 177, the 3500 matches with my GBTech. I'm assuming they're both accurate as they think they are (for lack of a better term).

The cascading on/off is worth the price alone. The protection is fine from what I know (never caught lightning strikes or anything, but last summer we had rather impressive overloads and it safely shut it all down before anything nasty could happen).

The filtering... I don't remember the exact numbers -- But my 7000 actually seemed to reduce my noise floor (DA out to a 'typical' chain, engaged and fed to the AD) by just around 2dB. Honestly wasn't expecting that. Again, much newer unit so I don't know if the filtering in a new 3500 would be similar or not.

No troublesome noise or hums by any stretch --

That said, keep in mind that more people are likely to complain than praise -- When I buy a piece of gear, I expect it to do what the MFG claims. If it does, there you go. If I have a chance at some point, I'll add a review at Amazon or something. If it's truly exceptional, I'll probably make more of an effort (just ask the Tyler Acoustics people). But you can bet that if it sucks, people are going to hear about it...

Not like that excuses anyone from putting out crap - And no doubt, few products out there have a zero-percent failure rate.

Long story short -- I can't think of another unit I'd buy in that price range.

Extremely helpful. You've given me some good insight and restored my faith. The 3500 it is. Just a pay day away now.

Back