Preamps

mono-man

If a preamp is used to record using the computer, what kind of preamp?
People speak of the "Tube" preamps as the best, ...how do they work (quality wise, noise etc.) with the computer?

Merry Christmas

Condenser mics,
SB live sound card, thats all I know. I have a small DOD guitar pre-amp overdrive that carries the signal alright (used for the mic,el cheapo condenser type for now, instead of the guitar), records alright.
Just thinking about cost of the mixer (low funds) as opposed to preamp?

Thanks

A mixer isn't going to give you the versatility and quality sound of a good preamp, but it's a good alternative if you have little money to spend. You can get an 8-channel Behringer for under $200 bucks.
If you've got a few more $$$ to spend, here is a really nice mic/instrument preamp that sounds killer for the money.
Trust me... I own one... it's sweet! ;)

http://www.mindprint.com

It's called the "Envoice"

Thanks for the info.
I don't have those kind of bucks.
What about the ART tube preamp? ever heard of it?

This is all new stuff to me.
So I guess the bulk of the equipment out there is "analog", and you are going to get alot of noise unless you have a digital conversion (please correct me if I am wrong).
This is what I don't understand.....what make the difference (component wise) between a digital preamp, and an analog?

Thanks

I was looking at that too....my question is do I need to convert this signal with a converter....or is it not necessary?
There are alot of Mic preamp out there (this I noticed), can most of them be used for computer recording?

Thanks

Okay,
That was what I was wondering...I am really ignorant on alot of this computer stuff, and wasn't sure if I needed something else besides the preamp.
Now what is the problem with the analog mixers, and using them through the sound card?

Thanks

Back