Preamps in Tascam 414

haburton

I have been recording on my Tascam 414 with both my guitars and my mikes using the preamps in the Tascam 414. I don't know that I am unhappy with it, but I am interested in anyone's opinions of the preamps built into this recorder. My only complaint is that they seem to be somewhat "shrill". I have great highs, but seem to be a little weak in the bass. What opinions do experienced users have?

Yeah I don't mind the pre-amps but things can sound sort of dull. I recommed getting an inexpensive analog mic-preamp such as the Blue Tube, or Joe Meek, or the Art ones.

It's a stetch to call them "pre-amps"... not in a functional sense I guess, cos they do amplify a weak signal... but they don't do it very well............ certainly neither cleanly nor transparently....

OTOH.... they are reasonable compromises for the level of recording gear they are typically connected to - ie, along the calibre of demo sketchpad type of recording gear....

Blue Bear Sound said:
It's a stetch to call them "pre-amps"... not in a functional sense I guess, cos they do amplify a weak signal... but they don't do it very well............ certainly neither cleanly nor transparently....

OTOH.... they are reasonable compromises for the level of recording gear they are typically connected to - ie, along the calibre of demo sketchpad type of recording gear....

I agree with Bruce....... ;)

Back