preamp

superjiBBer01

I'm getting a audiophile 2496 and from reading I heard a lot of bad stuff about Behringer mixers, so I was wondering, can i get 2 M-Audio Audio Buddy's because when I record.....say drums I plan to mic more then just 2 mics, so can i use the 2 audio buddys at the same time and connect it to my audiophile then mix it through whatever program i end up using? Sorry if it's a dumb question =)

Does the Audio Buddy have a mono output? Then you could do that. (I believe the Audiophile has two channels of analog I/O).

Drums on only two tracks is going to be very limiting, though...

yah i agree that 2 tracks is very limiting, so if the audio buddy doesn't have a mono output can you recommend any other preamp besides a behringer mixer to record more then 2 tracks at a time, the cheaper the better, because I am on a budget. =)

no, you cant hook up 2 Audio Buddys to the Audiophile without submixing....if i were you id get a Delta 44.....you can hook 2 Audio Buddys to that EASY.........

get a mixer...look for a used studiomaster rotary club....i wish i hadn't sold mine.

with a mixer, you are stuck with the 2 track mix you initalyy record since the audiophile only has a stereo input...2 Audio Buddy's and a delta 44 (less than $400 for the 2) will get you 4 separate tracks at a time........

if you wanna go really cheap, 2 Audio Buddys and a Santa Cruz card ($60)...it has 2 1/8" stereo inputs so you could record 4 tracks at a time on it also.......

ok...so, what if you already have an Audiophile? what do ya recommend then?

i guess a better of getting to an answer (me me me help with my problem...someday i'll know all the answers too!):

i am getting cakewalk homestudio, i already have an Audiophile and also use an old 4-track cassette recorder. i plan to record some things to the 4-track and then transfer to the comp; other times straight to the comp.

am trying to get the most versatility out of my equipment as possible. so, ideally i would like something i could use to mix and act as preamp and connect to my soundcard. feel like this is the musicians' equivalent to looking for a knight in shiny white armour that drives a phat pickup.

at any rate, i was looking at the m-audio dmp3's and then wondering why i wouldn't just get a midiman mixer like the MiXiM 10. maybe i have just been reading too many posts all day today.

blah blah blah
thanks in advance

ismaelson
rancho notorious, austin, tejas

If you're stuck using the audiophile, and you want to record four tracks at a time the only thing to do is get a mixer, or, perhaps get a stereo A/D convertor and use the s/pdif in on the audiophile. The thing is, for the price of an outboard A/D convertor, you could probably buy the Delta 44.

If you go into the Audiophile using a mixer you won't be able to individually adjust each of the four channels that are going into the mixer, only the left and the right of the combined signal. It would be ghoulish trying to record drums that way, methinks. You'd be stuck with whatever sounded good to you the day you tracked it. There's much more flexibility if you can adjust each drum track seperately. So, I think, in the end, it's probably worth your while to get $110 or so for your Audiophile on Ebay, and save up for that Delta 44.

It's late, and I just realized that, in my last post, I basically just reiterated what Gidge said. Sorry, I'll try to watch that in the future.

Yuou will not be able to record more than two tracks into that card. you will only be able to hook up more microphones with a mixer.

The audiophile is good for mixdown of your multitrack machines.

Darrin,

i have my J-Station hooked up to the S/PDIF, and my 2 channel preamp hooked up to the analog inputs and i record 4 tracks at once......

cominginsecond,

no problem...its a good solution he should consider...Delta 44 and 2 Audio buddies is a 4in 4 out soundcard with 4 preamps for ~ $350-$375........

At the risk of sounding dumb, with that j station plugged into the card how will you still get all of the drums miced up?

After all that is the prime reason why you need more than two tracks done at the same time. wouldnt that be defeating the purpose?

what drums...i dont have drums.....ill use the j-station in the spdif and a mic in the analog input for vocals (just when doing scratch tracks)......i was just replying that you CAN record 4 tracks at once......

and if you wanted to do drums with the audiophile, you get one preamp with stereo analog outs and one preamp with stereo digital outs....

but if you wanted that many inputs, get a Delta 44,66, or 1010....like i suggested earlier.....

Art has a pre that has spidif outs so I figure you can use that. But I seemto recall you reccomending drum mics? But you dont record drummers?

yep ill recommend drum mics......

kick-at atmpro25 (finally got people on this bandwagon.i found this one because i was a cheapskate)

snare-sm57 thats a no-brainer

overheads- ecm8000's (thanks Harvey)

any problems with this recommendation?......

right now when i do record drums, i dont have a mixer, just standalone preamps....so i have to submix down to stereo as i track(sucks bad)....it it very RARE that i get to do it....if i ever did anything serious and needed real drums and still have the Audiophile, id rent a ADAT.........

Back